We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotwire New Zealand Reservation Site. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hotwire New Zealand Reservation Site. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

i attempted to make an hotel reservation in a four-star hotel in central; Christchurch, from the 27th February to the 2nd of March, via the internet, on the 12th of December 2013.

Amongst the various offers available was one from the Hotwire New Zealand site, offering an un-named four-star hotel for NZ$ 244. 90. However, for this very tempting price I would not be informed of the name of the hotel and thus its exact location, until after I had paid for the reservation by credit card. As I have been very pleased with this type of reservation in the UK, especially for those hotels near Heathrow airport, which include car-parking, I was not overly concerned, as long as I would be getting a 4-star hotel in central Christchurch, as I have never been there before and have no knowledge of the hotels available in this city.

However, when I received the confirmation details, Reservation No. 114986847151, I was both amazed and shocked, to find that they had given me a reservation at the Novohotel, Grey Friar's Road, Ipswich, in the UK., when I was trying to book an hotel on the other side of the world, and paying in New Zealand dollars.

I immediately contacted the Hotwire helpline, to inform them of their mistake, which, once they had checked the details, they readily acknowledged their mistake, but rather than an apology and a promise to refund the payment as quickly as possible, leaving me free to select an hotel of my choice, I was informed that it was "not company policy" to refund payment for such bookings, despite the fact that it was clearly their error,and I was told that they would only refund my payment, AFTER I had paid for alternative accommodation, and that I would have to pay NZ$ 345.65 to obtain 4-star accommodation in Christchurch.

Feeling that I had little option but to comply with their wishes if I wanted to recover my original payment, and thereby obtain what I believed would be a 4-star hotel in the centre of Christchurch

When I received the confirmation of that booking, I found that I had been given a reservation in the Southwark Appartments, in Southwark Street.

While I have no idea of what level of services will be available to me at Couthwark Appartments, I am certain that it will not be what I would imagine I could expect from a 4-star hotel.

Hopefully, the remainder of our stay in New Zealand will be less problematic, but I am reminded of the old adage, if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is. Len Powell.

1. Re: Hotwire New Zealand Reservation Site. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 22:05
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,874 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotwire New Zealand Reservation Site. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

I would dispute the original booking charge through your credit card company since Hotwire had clearly not delivered what you had paid for.

I s the $345 per night or for your entire stay?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotwire New Zealand Reservation Site. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

You can stay at 5 star properties for that price www.newzealand.com/int/accommodation/search/

Southwalk Apartments rate themselves 4 stars - they currently charge $115 per night www.newzealand.com/int/accommodation/search/

Western Victoria
Level Contributor
347 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotwire New Zealand Reservation Site. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

Looks like a 3 night stay, therefore $345 comes out at $115 per day, not a bad price for a "4 star" in the Christchurch CBD. (I've just finished booking for April, its a good price)

Hotwire is an international site, you chose between NZ and UK so its not really totally there fault.

Southwark Apartments look OK, maybe 3.5 stars, but what can you pick up in the UK for 50quid a night???

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,085 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotwire New Zealand Reservation Site. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

I wouldn't call Southwark St "Centrally located" - although it is a moot point where the "centre" of Chch is these days. The better hotels that have reopened in the city centre are Novotel & Quest Apartments. Still a bit of a dust bowl around there however.

Christchurch, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotwire New Zealand Reservation Site. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

Southwark is like a really nice flash backpackers hostel - I've been there and it's a modern set up, with small compact (but well designed) rooms, each with a double bed, kitchenette and shower/toilet. There is also a big communal kitchen/dining/living room on each level. It's like a really nice student hostel (and it was originally built for students, as it's right next to the polytech). It's definitely a nice complex, but it's not a hotel. It'd probably rate 4 stars as in the hostel or budget apartment block section though!

4 star hotels in Chch central include the Novotel (rack rates usually around $180 - $220 per night) and the Rendezvous and Rydges Latimer (approx $220 - $240 per night).

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotwire New Zealand Reservation Site. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

The charge is for three nights

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotwire New Zealand Reservation Site. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

As i was looking to book three nights in New Zealand and had specified I wanted a four-star hotel in central Christchurch, I find it hard to believe that, upon reflection, I had made a mistake, other than thinking that any site which looks to make reservations for someone in the UK who would want to pay in NZ$ for an hotel in Ipswich, which is only 30 miles from where I live, has serious problems. Contrary to your view, I do believe it was their not (there) fault, and I would never use that site again, and would have no sympathy for anyone who does, if they have read my comments.

9. Re: Hotwire New Zealand Reservation Site. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 16:05
Western Victoria
Level Contributor
347 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotwire New Zealand Reservation Site. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

Apologies for my spelling mistake, far less important than messing my Hotel booking.

When you logged into Hotwire.com/NZ you get asked where are you going.

Type in CHRISTCHURCH and the first 3 options are in the UK.

Did you change this to Christchurch NZ????

The site doesn't know what you want, it assume you hit the right buttons.

Due to your lack of care, a possibly reputable (never heard of them before) booking site gets a negative reputation. A Google search for them gets your comments in capitals.

Have a nice holiday, as long as your flight bookings are correct!