We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early Arrival Friendly Hotel/Motels

Switzerland
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Early Arrival Friendly Hotel/Motels

We will be landing at CHC around 9:30am after some extensive travel (~30 hrs) and will be looking for a place to crash immediately to try and recharge before heading off the next day. I have been pretty lucky in the past calling in the morning but i've only done that at large hotels and of course it's never guaranteed. That said has anyone had any luck booking a place with early arrival guaranteed? I can start contacting hotels but thought I would start here to see if anyone has tried something similar.

Thanks,

MM

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early Arrival Friendly Hotel/Motels

I don't think any accommodation will ever be able to GUARANTEE early arrival unless you pay for the night before aswell... Depending on the time of year you are travelling you might have higher chances of getting an early check in (e. out of high season you will have a better chance). In high season, a lot of places will be fully booked most nights, and they are certainly not going to turn away a booking the night before or kick guests out early the next morning to guarantee an early check in for someone else.

Most places will be happy to give you early check in if its possible, but if you find anywhere that will guarantee it without you paying extra, let us all know !!!

Oz
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early Arrival Friendly Hotel/Motels

HI,

FWIW I find the only thing that works for me (somewhat) with jet lagis to walk and walk and walk some more. Nearly every hotel will let you leave your bags.

Next time I'm thinking of taking a long haul flight....I'm going by ship ;-)

Cheers,

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early Arrival Friendly Hotel/Motels

Sleeping through the day on arrival will only extend any jet lag.

Best drop your bags at your accommodation for a later check-in then as mentioned, get out and walk. Sunshine is the best antidote to JL - gentle exercise, drinking lots of water and eat in moderation also help.

Early evening enjoy an early dinner and an early night. No matter what time you wake in the am, don't rise before 7am.

Happy travels :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,653 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early Arrival Friendly Hotel/Motels

Especially with the current ongoing accommodation crisis in Chch, I agree that paying for the room the night before is the only way to guarantee access; but I also agree with WLnz that dropping your bags & walking round the Botanic Gardens, city centre etc is the best antidote to JL.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early Arrival Friendly Hotel/Motels

Thanks everyone for the tips - looks like I will just have to ask when I get there but I figured it was worth asking the experts first! I am more worried about pure exhaustion vs. jetlag...in order to efficiently use miles I have to transit through Asia from east coast US. I normally do the walk around/exercise routine like suggested but since I don't sleep well (or at all) on planes I have a feeling I won't have much energy to do anything.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early Arrival Friendly Hotel/Motels

You will need to book your Chch accommodation well in advance - there is limited available.

Wait until you arrive and you might find yourself with a fruitless search - not something you want to be doing exhausted.

7. Re: Early Arrival Friendly Hotel/Motels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:38
Get answers to your questions about Christchurch