We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental at CHC airport?

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental at CHC airport?

Hi all! My friends and I will be arriving CHC on the 29th May at about 2+pm. We will only start our south island adventure on campervan the next day and will be staying at 219 on john's.

We're thinking of renting a car to get around Christchurch for that night, we would like to get into town to have dinner and do some light shopping. Should we rent a car just for one night? or should we just take a cab or something? I reckon that cab at CHC can be quite costy and renting our own car might be more affordable?

We are in a group of 6.

Also, if we were to rent a car. Is it recommended to rent upon arriving at the airport itself? Would we have any problems doing that?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,670 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental at CHC airport?

I really don't think renting a car for one night is sensible. (1) You will be jet-lagged; (2) you don't know your way around Chch and it will be night time. Chch roads are awful at present with all the EQ repairs being done.

If you do decide to rent a car, book ahead - you'll need a people mover for 6 and not all companies have them. Also only the big expensive multinationals have offices at the airport. The smaller companies save money by locating down the road. They will pick you up in their shuttle bus if you are pre-booked and they are expecting you.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental at CHC airport?

Thanks for the advice zhuhai. How should we get to town for dinner and shopping at night if we do not have a car? As 219 john's is pretty far away from everything else.

We would not have problem getting to motel as they can pick us up at the airport, same goes or the campervan company the next morning.

Also, what time does the shops normally close at night?

Edited: 10 May 2014, 11:49
Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental at CHC airport?

Are there any place to rent a bicycle at night near 219 john's??

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental at CHC airport?

The shops in the Re:Start Mall shut at 5:30pm but the shopping malls in Riccarton and Northlands close at 9pm on Thursdays.

Unfortunately your accommodation a long way from anywhere and not on a bus route so your only option is to get a taxi if you wish to travel anywhere. I am with zhuhai2007 - renting a car is not a good idea.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental at CHC airport?

And renting a bike for the night is madness - you don't know the city, you will be jet-lagged, many streets are compromised from the earthquakes.

Either take a taxi - you will need a minivan for a party of six - or change your accommodation to the central city.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental at CHC airport?

Thank you all for your input. How about walking to Northwood? I see new world supermarket and countdown at Northwood. And it's only about 2.7km (based on google map). It's about 30-40mins walk. Is it do-able?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental at CHC airport?

If you are happy to walk that far then Northwood is an option. There are two supermarkets and several restaurants there as well as other shops but the shops may close at 5:30pm, I'm not sure. The supermarkets will be open longer however.

The only thing is that I am not sure that Johns Road has a footpath along the stretch of road where you are staying, which will make it dangerous to walk on, especially after dark. Check with your accommodation, they may know of a walkway to get to Northwood Boulevard which is a safe road to walk along to the mall. I would recommend you have a map so you don't get lost. Also be aware that it will be quite cold late afternoon and after dark so be warmly dressed.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,670 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental at CHC airport?

If you are keen to walk and have warm clothes, you could walk to Belfast (about 1.5 Km) and catch a blue route "B" bus to Northlands, when there are a dozen or more restaurants from Asian to Mexican & Steakhouse. This might be easier than getting a taxi from Johns Rd but I don't recall there being a footpath as Johns Road is being enlarged & is quite a mess. From Northlands you could more easily get a taxi back to Johns Rd.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental at CHC airport?

Hi Foxy, thanks for the reply. Based on google map street view, there seem to be footway from the entrance of the motel to brookwater ave, in which we can continue down northwood boulevard to northwood.

I'm not sure how accurate the map is and if the footway is still there or not. (the map says that it's last updated on 2012)

Hi Zhuhai, that sounds like another plan! Where will we be able to catch the blue bus? Is it at the burger king down the road beside Bank Of NZ? Will there be a bus stop there?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental at CHC airport?

Hi there. I believe this is the bus route/map/timetable you are looking for metroinfo.co.nz/timetables/…

It looks like there is a stop near-ish to the Burger King and Z Petrol station on the corner of Main North Road and Johns Road. However it will be on the opposite side of the road to the BK. (not sure which bank you're referring to though, sorry)

It will still be a reasonable walk (Google Maps says 26 minutes) from your accommodation to this bus stop.

I go to/from work down Johns Road and I don't believe the expansion has involved this section of road, at this stage. From memory, it isn't paved the whole way from The Groynes (which is the park by where you are staying) to Main North Road but you can walk on the grass where it's not paved. It is a busy road though and the cars will be travelling between 60-80km/h.

If you're happy to do the 25 minute or so walk from your accommodation to the bus stop on Main North Road, Northlands Mall is the better spot (in my opinion) for shopping and food, compared with Northwood. Northlands should also be open late on Thursday to 9pm but I would double check that on the mall website. Food-wise there are several options as others have mentioned. I like Flying Burrito Brothers (outside the mall) and Lone Star which is inside the mall for a sit down meal. There is also a food court in the middle of the mall.

Mentioned in this post
Groynes
Groynes
59 Reviews
Christchurch, New Zealand
Northlands Mall
Northlands Mall
29 Reviews
Christchurch, New Zealand
Flying Burrito Brothers
Flying Burrito Brothers
132 Reviews