We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

romantic holday in the south island for 5 days in october

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
romantic holday in the south island for 5 days in october

My husband and I are planning a holiday for our 10 year anniversary and would like any suggestions on how to spend 5 days in the south island possibly renting a car for that time

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: romantic holday in the south island for 5 days in october

Welcoem to the forum NS :)

What's your idea of romantic? To me it's an isolated cabin far from others, with hot water, not necessarily power - or other days I would opt for the luxury and service of Blanket Bay.

So if you let us know a bit more on what you hope for. ..

rustic or ultra-luxury

isolated or party-central

in the midst of activities or secluded with books

the more you tell us, the better we can help :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,926 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: romantic holday in the south island for 5 days in october

Budget would be helpful too. Accommodation in NZ, just like Australia ranges from a $6pn campsite to a 4-digit luxury resort. You might like to consider an overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound. Will you fly in to CHC or ZQN??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: romantic holday in the south island for 5 days in october

Thanks for the quick responses!

We are not going to have our children with us for the first time, so we are looking for things to do that we normally couldn't do (visit wineries, go out to a nice dinner, stay at a fancy hotel/B&B). I went onto this forum initially to get some advice as to what locations could be visited in the short space of time that we have. I don't know whether its feasible to have a base like Christchurch where we stay at the one place the entire time and drive to various locations, or start at Christchurch and stay overnight at a few locations?

We are looking for things to do while we are there, but with the flexibility of chilling if we feel the need. We like good food and wine and aren't too adventurous (so no skydiving!). Would be interested in 4 star places to stay. I heard milford sound is spectacular, but haven't had any other recommendations other than that. Cruises are definitely not an option unless the water is calm, as I get sea sick.

I haven't organized flights, so not sure where we'll be landing, but I know there relatively cheap flights out of Sydney to aukland and Christchurch at the moment. Other locations like wellington and queenstown are quite a bit more expensive.

Any advice is much appreciated!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: romantic holday in the south island for 5 days in october

Too few days to get from Chch to Milford - better to fly in/out Queenstown.

From there you can cover Milford, Wanaka, Arrowtown, wineries.

Accommodation ranges from $ to $$$$$$

take a look here to see what suits www.newzealand.com/int/accommodation/search/

5. Re: romantic holday in the south island for 5 days in october

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 11:35
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,353 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: romantic holday in the south island for 5 days in october

My recommendation is not trying to do too much. Id suggest base in Queenstown if you want to cover Milford and Doubtful sounds. An overnight on Doubtful sound is hugely awesome, and not one person got seasick when we ve been as it is sheltered.

What time of the year are you travelling?

My other suggestion would be top of the south island. Marlborough, nelson, queen charlotte sound, Nadia bay are wonderful spots for a couple with wonderful wineries, great scenery and places to stay

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: romantic holday in the south island for 5 days in october

Nelson, BLenheim/Picton or Queenstown make good bases to spend 4-5 days while exploring nearby attractions.

Nelson is only a short drive from Able Tasman National Park, Nelson Lakes National park or the Marlborough Sounds. All can be reached in about a hour and half. These a few wineries. Nelson does produce some wonderful produce, but October is the wrong time of year. Nelson city has a bit of a hippy vibe going on, with quite a few artists and alternative life stylists making the region home.

Blenheim/Picon. Is near the Marlborough Sounds, and can easily do day trips to Kaikoura or Nelson lakes National Park. Can also do daytrips to Nelson (or vice versa). If you enjoy sea food then Marlborough has a lot to offer, fresh Mussels or Salmon grown in the Marlborough Sounds. The Kaikoura coast is known for its Crayfish and Paua/Abalone. Marlborough is also home to New Zealands largest and most prestigious wine region. Blenheim itself is rather dull.

Queenstown has stunning mountains and lakes scenery, the surrounding region has made quite a name for itself growing many fine red wines. Also makes a good base to go on a Milford Sounds cruise. Central Otago grows some wonderful summer produce, but like Nelson its the wrong time of year.

8. Re: romantic holday in the south island for 5 days in october

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:17