We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Full Days in Christchurch - Itinerary?

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Three Full Days in Christchurch - Itinerary?

Hi all,

I'll be traveling with 4 other adults at the end of October. We'll be driving into CHC from ZQN and have 3 days after that just for the general CHC area. We are budget travelers and not looking to drive more than a couple hours for day trips during that time. It seems to me that if we stay in the Riccarton area, we can perhaps avoid a car rental for at least one day. Does that sound accurate?

Also, is 3 days too much time for just CHC? Are there areas nearby we should explore in the Canterbury Region or elsewhere? I've seen the comments about Akaroa so that seems like an option. Any other tips? We aren't big adventure seekers but like stepping outside of the general tourist areas.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,927 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Full Days in Christchurch - Itinerary?

Welcome to TA. Whether 3 days in Chch is too much depends on your interests. Chch is still looking a bit depressing to outsiders. If you like gardens, the Botanic Gardens, Mona Vale & Riccarton House will be looking beautiful in spring. You could visit them in a walking day from a Riccarton base. The Re:Start Mall (shipping containers); Worcester Boulevard and the Cardboard Cathedral ar eall walkable if you are eneregtic. You could return to Riccarton by bus.

I think a day trip to Akaroa would be lovely and a scenic tour of the outer suburbs of Sumner & Lyttelton, with a ride on the Gondola to the top of the Port hIlls would also be great on a clear day.

If you like wine and haven't been north, you could visit some Waipara wineries, or even drive as far as Hanmer Springs (2 hr)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Full Days in Christchurch - Itinerary?

There's a wonderful walk called Washpen Falls just outside of Christchurch that I would highly recommend - it's a private walk and just stunning.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Full Days in Christchurch - Itinerary?

Are you stopping enroute while driving Q'town to Chch?

Wanaka and Aoraki/Mt Cook are both well worth visiting.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Full Days in Christchurch - Itinerary?

We plan to make it a leisurely drive from Queenstown but within 1 day. I hope to stop at Mt Cook, if it works out. Thanks for the tips.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three Full Days in Christchurch - Itinerary?

Thanks for the information. We do like gardens and you've given me some good ideas and more places to research.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three Full Days in Christchurch - Itinerary?

But this is what I don't quite understand - you race Q'town to Chch in one day then have 3 days to dilly dally around Chch. Why not make a journey of the trip and stay overnight?

The drive Q'town to Aoraki/Mt Cook to Chch in one day is over 8 hours driving !! plus stops !!! This I do not recommend.

Far better to;

day 1 drive to Wanaka, explore

day 2 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook, explore

day 3 drive to Chch

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three Full Days in Christchurch - Itinerary?

I suggest Queenstown to Tekapo via Mount Cook. Stay night Tekapo and consider the Night Sky tour. Excellent view of stars including milky way, other galazies, Saturn etc.

Next day drive to Chch (3 hours) and consider driving to Lyttleton (possibly going onto gondola en route). Back through tunnel.

Then 2 days exploring city (rebuild etc), cardboard cathedral, Botanic gardens, Anartic centre, all easy to get to by bus from Riccarton (which is best place to stay). Willowbank also good if you want to see native birds (not just kiwis)

8. Re: Three Full Days in Christchurch - Itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 05:17