We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights at christchurch - City center or other locations ?

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sevilla
8 posts
Save Topic
3 nights at christchurch - City center or other locations ?

Hi,

I have read the guide, similar posts but I'm still a bit confused about where to stay in my upcoming 3-nights at Christchurch trip. I have read that after the earthquake there are still areas being reconstructed, and that now it's not such a great place to stay for tourism, but at the same time, even if we will do some day tours, we want to be close to the touristic spots and restaurants as we plan to walk and enjoy the city.

Where do you recommend us to stay? Any suggestions? Are there big price differences (room rate, parking, etc) depending on the area?

Thanks in advance. It's really a pleasure finding so many people willing to help in this forum. I am really counting the days to visit NZ!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,878 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights at christchurch - City center or other locations ?

Sadly, the city centre is still a ghost town so I really don't recommend the few hotels that have reopened. Will you have a car? I don't know what your budget is or expectations, but personally, I think motels in Riccarton or Merivale would be more suitable. You can walk, bus or drive to the Botanic Gardens, Re: Start Mall, Cardboard Cathedral etc and walk to nearby restaurants.

For half day drives, you can visit Sumner Beach, the Gondola, Port Hills & Lyttelton or Willowbank Wildlife Park.

For full day trips away from Chch you have Akaroa or Hanmer Springs, Mt Hutt Skifield or Kaikoura.

Sevilla
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights at christchurch - City center or other locations ?

Thanks Zhuhai for your reply (and the other one in my other post). I knew the damage was really big but I couldn't imagine is still so important. I read a post a couple days ago about how moving a walk around CBD is today.

I will look for motels in the areas you mentioned. We're not sure yet about renting the car as mentioned in my other thread, but it's likely...

Finally, another big "thanks" for your day-trip recommendations!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,878 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights at christchurch - City center or other locations ?

Basically there are no functioning shops or restaurants in the inner city yet, apart from the Re:Start (container) mall & New Regent St. Surrounding the Novotel/Quest Apartments etc are blocks of wasteland, construction sites & boarded up buildings. I wouldn't want to walk around there at night.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights at christchurch - City center or other locations ?

Yes, I would recommend Merivale, it has a small village where there are several cafes, pubs and restaurants, and shops, and there are pretty older houses and streets.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights at christchurch - City center or other locations ?

We stayed in Riccarton a year ago and it was a great place to stay. Close to the gardens, close to shops and close to a huge range of fantastic Restaurants. Easy to get to from the Airport via shuttle or taxi too.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights at christchurch - City center or other locations ?

Hi,

I'm going to ask the obvious question............why three nights in CHC?

Certainly if you weren't familiar with Christchurch prior to the earthquake many "new visitors" find it fascinating to see the destruction and the rebuilding but a night or two is plenty IMHO!

If you were familiar with Christchurch prior to the earthquake many like my wife and I find the destruction most upsetting and stay well away from the CBD with a one night stay maximum.

Cheers,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,878 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights at christchurch - City center or other locations ?

Hey, OZ - lay off Chch! (a) we need the tourists & (b) about 80-90% of the tourist attractions are up & running:

Canterbury Museum (+ Quake City);

Antarctic Centre

WillowBank

Orana Park

Botanic Gardens (+ the fabulous new Visitors' Centre)

Gondola

Tram (albeit on a reduced track)

Punting in the Park

Airforce Museum

Ferrymead

Riccarton House & Bush + weekend markets

beaches & cafes at New Brighton & Sumner

Plus the new Transitional Cathedral, Re:Start Mall & Gap Filler sites

All that is missing for tourists are the old cathedral, Arts Centre (about 1/4 reopened) & Provincial Council Buildings.

By the time somebody arrives in Chch either from down south or by air, a minimum of 2 nights are needed to allow for one full day to sightsee. If you have 3 N, you might want to do a day trip to Akaroa.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights at christchurch - City center or other locations ?

With respect I disagree that there are no functioning restaurants in the inner city yet. The Ibis Hotel has a restaurant and there are others in St Asaph, Victoria and Madras Streets as well as Durham Street, unless these are not considered "inner city".

See this interactive website for info on what restaurants, etc are open in Christchurch: http://findchch.com/ Click on the Entertainment > Eating and Drinking tabs.

I agree that it would not be a good idea to walk around the inner city at night, however.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 07:31
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,878 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights at christchurch - City center or other locations ?

Yes, Victoria St is buzzing - I've yet to able to get a table at Mexicano's ;( but I don't consider that "inner city". I have recently reviewed a couple of cafes in the inner city, but I'm not sure that they are open at night. Merivale, Riccarton & Addington are much busier at night.

K G
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights at christchurch - City center or other locations ?

Hi juanma_sevilla,

I actually just returned from a week long trip to Christchurch. Despite the ongoing debate here, I would have to say that you could easily do Christchurch in a day. Much of the city is still down. I was fooled by their terrific marketing team into thinking that it was much more active than it is. I would suggest you rent a car for at least a day or two and visit the surrounding area. My friend and I ended up doing this when we realized how empty the city was. We loved Akaroa on Banks Peninsula and Kaikoura, just up to the north.

Hope this helps. NZ is a gorgeous place.