We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendation for stay

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
recommendation for stay

Hello folks,

I am planning a visit to South Island in March 2015. I need to stay in Christchurch for at least 1 night (could do even 2 if needed). My primary purpose is to rest (I really need a very good rest after a very long flight), make a visit to the Antarctic center, and have restaurants (vegetarian friendly) nearby at walking distance (will not have car with me for 1st day).

After doing a bit of research I had zeroed in on YMCA in central city. But with the earthquake and building closures, I am not so sure if it is the best choice. Restaurants in the area are very few, and they don't seem to stay open beyond 5:30 pm or so. Hence, is it better to stay near the airport? The Antarctic center is close to the airport, and I found a couple of veg-friendly restaurants nearby also. I am not sure if I will be allowed to go inside the airport and eat at the restaurants in the terminal.

So folks, please give me some advice as I am really confused whether to stay at the Y or near the airport. Thanks!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,769 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendation for stay

The YMCA is certainly in a great location for exploring the city centre, museum & Botanic Gardens, however you make a valid point about night- time activities.

I cetrainly couldn't imagine eating at the airport from choice, although there is no restriction on access to the Food Court on the second floor. Accommodation within the airport is limited to the Sudima, which would be expensive for 1 person, compared with the Y.

You might find the Jailhouse Backpackers in Addington to be more convenient wrt meals, and you can visit the Antarctic Centre on arrival .

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommendation for stay

Thanks for the reply zhuhai. We are actually 2 people traveling, and we are not really interested in bars and clubbing at night. What we really need is to be able to walk to a restaurant even at 7:30 or 8 in the evening and get a good vegetarian meal to eat. So what is your take, considering those factors?

For airport, I also looked up Copthrone comodore and a couple of motels surrounding the copthrone. But I am open to looking elsewhere, if it meets our other criteria.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
35,769 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommendation for stay

At the Copthorne you are very isolated - fine if you have a car or an early flight next morning. Have you looked at motels in Riccarton? There are lots of restaurants in Riccarton, but if you stick with the Y, there is a small number of restaurants within walking distance, such as Himalyas (Indian/Nepali), Joyful (Chinese) etc.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommendation for stay

Yes, I am considering the Y because of central location. I also found 3 restaurants nearby - Duo, Pegasus Arms and Cook n with gas. Also Oopen pasta restaurant in Ibis.

So next question is, I want to rent car from Apex after a day or two in Christchurch; will it be challenging to drive from rental place to YMCA, to load up all my luggage and then drive out to Mt.Cook? Because the earthquake has caused road closures. Or can I ask Apex to pick me up from YMCA and take us to rental location? How would all that work out?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
35,769 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recommendation for stay

Usually the nice people at Apex will pick you up from your accommodation and drive you to their office to fill out the paper work. They will then show you the easiest way west, depending on the current state of road closures (they change daily as the repair process moves on).

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recommendation for stay

Thanks for your feedback. It does look like YMCA/Central location is a better location than staying near the airport.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recommendation for stay

March is a very long way off in terms of the Christchurch rebuild. You are likely to find more restaurants and cafes open and a lot of road works complete by then. Well, I hope so anyway!!! lol

Victoria Street is within walking distance from the YMCA and has good eateries so you won't go hungry.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 22:41
8. Re: recommendation for stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:16