We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motel for 1 night prior to train---and transport options?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,982 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Motel for 1 night prior to train---and transport options?

Next January, we have one night Christchurch before departing on the 7 am train to Picton. We will arrive by plane from Australia around 5 pm. What would be the most convenient place to stay, in terms of transport from the airport on arrival and early morning access to the train? I started looking at places close enough to the train for walking, but the area doesn't look great and we would also like a long walk in the park/botanical gardens in the evening. I see some places along Dean's Ave. the park, or on Riccarton.

Would these be our best choice for location? How to we get there fro the airport, and then to the train the next morning? I tried the Top Questions above right, but that one has no information at all, and the "Arriving and Departing in Christchurch" article has broken links to a Free Shuttle and a City Flyer Airport Bus that apparently no longer exist. (They haven's been updated since the earthquake, apparently). The Red Bus site mentions an airport bus (No. 3) but does that serve Riccarton Road?

Somewhere I read of a shuttle that circulates around various hotels and then goes to the station, but I cannot find any information about it. And maybe it is from the more downtown hotels east of the park, like the George, rather than from the Riccarton Road area. I imagine we could call for an early taxi, but what does that cost?

Thanks for your help!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motel for 1 night prior to train---and transport options?

Just get taxis.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,982 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motel for 1 night prior to train---and transport options?

I am OK with that for getting to the train, but now much is a taxi from the airport into town? We generally take public transport when we travel abroad.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,927 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motel for 1 night prior to train---and transport options?

There are several motels in the Riccarton area, south of Riccarton Rd that are very close to the station. In terms of connection to restaurants, Hagley Park/Botanic Gardens etc, low numbers on Riccarton Rd are good. Kauri Motel gets good reviews as does Lorenzo. Tower Junction Motor Lodge is closer to the station, but not as close to restaurants.

Bus #3 does travel down Riccarton Rd.

Edited: 14 July 2014, 06:45
Leongatha, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motel for 1 night prior to train---and transport options?

Some of the motels in the Christchurch station area will drive you to the station in the morning; you could Google something like 'motels Christchurch station shuttle'. As for transport from the airport to your accommodation, Google 'Christchurch airport shuttle' and you can get an online quote.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motel for 1 night prior to train---and transport options?

This is the Route 3 timetable (goes down Riccarton Road):

metroinfo.co.nz/timetables/…

This is the Route 29 timetable (goes down Memorial Avenue):

metroinfo.co.nz/timetables/…

I hope this helps plan your visit. Taxis are aplenty at the airport.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,982 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motel for 1 night prior to train---and transport options?

Thank you all! I get busy checking out the links and trying to google up a motel with early morning transport to the station.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
978 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motel for 1 night prior to train---and transport options?

Hi Enzian

Yes, suggest Airport Bus 3 to a motel on Riccarton Rd (there are many) then a taxi in the morning (to be ordered probably).

Taxi ride is less that 5-10 minutes, in a straight line along Clarence St to the station at Tower Junction, but I would leave the motel at 6.20 am latest.

Regards

DCtheKiwi

Edited: 15 July 2014, 10:13
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
978 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Motel for 1 night prior to train---and transport options?

Hi

This place does transfers. Maybe a charge though.......

http://www.kaurimotel.com/Facilities/

DCtheKiwi

9. Re: Motel for 1 night prior to train---and transport options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 05:17