We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendations for bars and restaurants?

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
181 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
recommendations for bars and restaurants?

Hi,

We will be spending a couple nights in Christchurch in November and I was hoping to get some advice regarding bars and restaurants. Most guidebooks and websites are outdated and I've found that sadly a lot of the recommended places are no longer around due to the earthquakes. Not sure what the name is of the neighborhood where we'll be staying, but it is Papanui just north of Bealey. We are looking for good, casual to business casual restaurants (any kind of food but my husband is not a huge seafood guy), and bars with a 30-40 something crowd (more "pub" than "club"). Any suggestions? During the day we are planning to do the gondola, the botanic garden, not sure what else yet. Thank you in advance for your help. Oh, and my husband loves craft beer and I'm a huge fan of NZ wines!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendations for bars and restaurants?

Sounds like you are staying near Merivale. There are a number of bars and restaurants nearby in popular Victoria Street, in Papanui Road, Merivale and nearby at the intersection of Bealey Ave and Papanui Road, all of which should be in walking distance. I don't think you will go hungry or thirsty. :)

This site should also be useful: http://findchch.com/ Put a tick in the Eating and Drinking section under Entertainment or choose the option required. The site also has an app to download - search for Find:Chch. It has suggestions for what to do as well.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,554 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommendations for bars and restaurants?

Yes, sounds like Merivale. Do be aware that popular restaurants fill up days, if not weeks in advance due to the huge numbers of insurance people on expenses. The last 2 Saturdays I've had to ring 5 restaurants to get a table for 2 or 3. If you feel like a night in, phone ahead and book a whole roast lamb shoulder from Pedros's - a caravan in the Z forecourt that has been #1 on TA for the past year! I can't quite work out why, although it is good - they have no seats, no vegetables to accompany the meat & sell out every night!

If you want to go a bit further afield, or after visiting the Gondola, try the Cassel & Sons craft brewey at The Tannery in Woolston.

Mentioned in this post
The Tannery
The Tannery
108 Reviews
Christchurch, New Zealand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommendations for bars and restaurants?

It is usually just Friday and Saturday nights that are booked out weeks in advance. The rest of the week should be fine but yes, do phone ahead to make sure of a table.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommendations for bars and restaurants?

We really like King of Snake & Mexicanos...definitely need reservations at those spots

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
181 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recommendations for bars and restaurants?

That website is just what I need, thank you! I will check out those restaurants and that bar. Thanks!!

Edited: 24 August 2014, 17:02
6. Re: recommendations for bars and restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 05:17