We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch to Queenstown by Car.

Queensland
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Christchurch to Queenstown by Car.

Can someone help with a little information. Arriving in Christchurch on the 17th October'14 & was wanting to hire a car to drive to Queenstown. Can I get some info. in doing this trip please. Is there anything that I need to be careful of etc? Any recommendations on car hire also would be helpful.

Thanks 8lindy

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown by Car.

Not too much to know - it's a reasonably long drive, give yourself six hours (excluding stops).

Break it up I bit, I drive that road a fair amount and stop at Geraldine to stretch the legs with a walk along the river, stop at Twizel for a cup of tea, and a breather, and then head through.

Allow a bit of extra time for enjoying the sights. If I were you I would stop at Tekapo and admire the church there, it's pretty impressive.

Drive carefully through the Lindis pass, and if you have traffic building up behind you pull over the let them pass, even if you think you are driving fast enough.

Queensland
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown by Car.

Thanks, I will probally leave C.C. around 8ish in the morning, just needed to be assured that I was not over doing it,

8lindy

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,927 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown by Car.

I wouldn't recommend doing it in one day. How long do you have to do it? If in a hurry it is better to fly. If not in a hurry a small detour to Mt Cook would make it really special, or in 2 half days Lake Tekapo is the half way point.

Queensland
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown by Car.

Unfortunately I only have 1 day as accomodation in Queenstown is booked. I do however have 2 days to get back to C.C. so I can take my time then.

8lindy

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown by Car.

I'd even delay your departure out of Christchurch until 9-ish to miss that morning traffic.

What kind of car will you be driving?

Queensland
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown by Car.

Thanks not sure on the car as yet as I need to hire one, was just thinking of something small & good on fuel.

8lindy

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown by Car.

You'll be fine, just don't rush, watch for cops, as they are all over that road, and be a considerate driver.

8. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown by Car.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 06:16