We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albatross and penguins?

Which Dunedin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Albatross and penguins?

We will be in Dunedin February 14th 2009. Cruise ship visit.

Could any one tell me please if there is a car rental agency near the dock and then we could drive ourselves to The royal Albatross colony and Penguin Place. I know you have to prebook tickets.

I am finding the tours to be quite expensive. But I know we will never get back and I would really love to see these birds in the wild.

Thanks in advance

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Albatross and penguins?

Hi UK

Most Dunedin rental agencies will provide a complimentary pick-up to meet your ship. Just make sure to ask when you book the car.

The Albatross Colony and Penguin Place are well worth visiting. If time permits you also might like to visit the nearby Glenfalloch Gardens newzealand.com/travel/…68691.html

enjoy :)

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Albatross and penguins?

Monarch Wildlife Cruises might suit you (www.wildlife.co.nz)

THIs is a small boat cruise which leaves from the Dunedin wharf, close to where your ship will birth. You may not see penguins as they will probably be out at sea fishing, but you will see seals, and albatrosses, as well as plenty of other wildlife.

Cruise prices range from $40 for 1 hour to $230 for a full day.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Albatross and penguins?

Thank you both for the info.

Helps a lot.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Albatross and penguins?

BTW I suppose you realised that should have been BERTH, and not BIRTH. I don't imagine the Dunedin Port Authority would be very impressed if your cruise ship went into labour and delivered a runabout in their harbour

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Albatross and penguins?

You're lucky I didn't read that yesterday vbc, I'd have given you a bit of stick! Made me smile :)

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Albatross and penguins?

Freudian Slip. Can't even blame the spell checker.

7. Re: Albatross and penguins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 20:16