We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day in Dunedin

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Day in Dunedin

Having a day in Dunedin on a cruise ship and have some questions:

Any information on the butterflies in the museum and is the museum walkable from the Octagen. Also someone mentioned in an earlier site that there was some "hop on hop off buses" is there a web-site for them - if not where abouts do they go and what is the cost. Also in mid November are the albatrosses nesting. We are from Christchurch but have never been to Dunedin except for childrens sports so what a better way to see NZ than on a cruise ship from Sydney. Many thanks for replies.

Mentioned in this post
Dunedin
Dunedin
Otago Region, New Zealand
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day in Dunedin

www.dunedinnz.co.nz Every thing you need to know will be answered on the tourism website including info on the hop on bus.

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day in Dunedin

Sorry, its .com Not .co. nz

www.dunedinnz.com

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
100 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day in Dunedin

Hey Jaybe,

The butterflies in the museum are good - very warm inside, and there are a lot of butterflies! It is on 3 levels, with beautiful plants, not the largest area, but still very interesting and good fun when they land on your head etc. About $10 each, and most of the Museum which the exhibit is contained within has free entry.

You also will be right across the road from Otago Uni which has beautiful buildings especially the Clocktower Building.

It is about a 10-15 minute walk to the Museum from the Octagon, along George St past all the shops, then turn at Albany Street and you will see it through the park one block along.

I am unsure about the cost/website for the Hop on/off bus, but they go all around Dunedin, including past the Uni, the Railway Station, around the Octagon, up past Olveston I think (a historic building) - but when you arrive in the Octagon off the cruise ship buses which bring you into town, right underneath the steps of the Town Hall (At the top of the Octagon) is the Info Centre, which will have heaps of info about the buses if you don't find it through google beforehand, and the buses pick you up from right outside there.

Also unsure about the albatrosses, but I am sure their website will have that info. If not, the Info Centre will help you out.

Any other qs just ask and I will try to help!

Amy

Mentioned in this post
Otago Region
Otago Region
South Island, New Zealand
The Octagon
The Octagon
244 Reviews
Dunedin, New Zealand
Dunedin
Dunedin
Otago Region, New Zealand
Dunedin Railway Station
Dunedin Railway Station
2,701 Reviews
Dunedin, New Zealand
Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day in Dunedin

I can highly recommend the museum.We 'fitted it in' between our Speights Brewery tour and our Elm Wildlife tour and really wish we had given it more time.

Mentioned in this post
Elm Wildlife Tours
Elm Wildlife Tours
785 Reviews
Dunedin, New Zealand
5. Re: Day in Dunedin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 18:22