We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chapel Apartments- ok to stay?

Which Dunedin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Chapel Apartments- ok to stay?

We are a family of 4, looking for accommodation in Dunedin in January 2010. I came across a website for the Chapel Apartments, in Moray Place, and the apartments look ideal, but I have been unable to find any reviews about the place (either here or elsewhere on the net). I also failed to find a listing for them in either the NZ yellow or white pages? Has anyone stayed there? and are they reliable? Can they recommend it? Just a bit anxious that it's not a legitimate business, I guess..... Thanks

Brisbane
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Chapel Apartments- ok to stay?

I stayed there recently and to be honest found them anything but "luxury" accommodation they advertise it as. The pots weren't clean, they had very few utensils, no towel racks among many other things that were not of a decent standard. The other thing is we were beside some rather noisy folk who were up to all hours of the night crashing and banging and the noise goes right through the walls. This place does have potential but at this stage it isn't there.

Dunedin is a lovely place that requires some better luxury accommodation.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chapel Apartments- ok to stay?

They are legitimate, but a bit underground - I think they have a local real estate office do their booking. If you want something really nice for similar sort of money, can I suggest Bluestone on George? It is a motel, but has apartments as well and is very highly rated locally. See their site at www.bluestonedunedin.co.nz/accommodation.html

No connection, just wish I could stay there, but I live in Dunedin and that would be silly.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chapel Apartments- ok to stay?

Thanks so much for the advice! :)

Canberra
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Chapel Apartments- ok to stay?

Hi Mel, Oh dear I have a sinking feeling now as we are booked to stay there next week. Hope all goes well. I'll let you know when we get back. Cheers Bron.

Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chapel Apartments- ok to stay?

We stayed there a couple of weeks ago. I agree with Henrystamp - we thought the apartment could have been cleaner (lots of dust, finger print marks all over things), there was a complete lack of useful cooking utensils, as well as plastic knives and forks. The bed was comfortable but small and the bedroom space upstairs is cramped. Location is good, flat screen TV was great but overall it could be done better.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chapel Apartments- ok to stay?

Hi Mel,

We considered staying there during our recent trip, but after having a look at the street view on Google maps, decided against it as parking seemed to be a bit squishy and it's located opposite a multi level car park so I really didn't like the look of the area. When we were there, we walked past it & I felt we made the right decision not to stay there. We stayed at Bluestone on George, and even though it's a 8 - 10 min walk to the Octagon, it was fantastic accommodation, immaculate in every way, on a bit of a hill overlooking the city. Only down side was that there's no cook top in the kitchenette. Only a microwave, so no bacon & eggs for breakfast! LOL! BUT there was a washing machine/drier, which was a blessing at that point in our trip. Check them out.

Kiki

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chapel Apartments- ok to stay?

PS. As far as Dunedin & noise is concerned, there are 22,000 Uni students in the City so it can get pretty lively especially Friday & Saturday nights. And for the best icecream in town go to Rob Roy's Dairy in George Street. I think it was $2.50 for a single cone with 3 HUGE scoops piled on. Amazing!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chapel Apartments- ok to stay?

I didn't mention noise as a problem, as the OP will be here in January, when things tend to be pretty quiet - just a couple of thousand students doing summer school and, this year, the Masters Games.

9. Re: Chapel Apartments- ok to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2010, 05:16