We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunedin to Cromwell- which route?

Which Dunedin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
583 posts
Save Topic
Dunedin to Cromwell- which route?

Hi,

Which route is more scenic from Dunedin to Cromwell,

(a) route 1 to Milton, then route 8 via Roxburgh OR

(b) route 87 Middlemarch, then route 85 to Alexandra joining route 8?

And how long is the travel distance for each route?

And if I were to start my journey at 7am driving from Dunedin, by taking the more scenic route above, and then Cromwell to Aoraki via Lindis Pass, how long is the journey? And is it doable within one day in Spring?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunedin to Cromwell- which route?

I think via Middlemarch is the more scenic route, though both ways are lovely. Middlemarch also takes a bit longer to drive - you can check drive times here by calculating from town to town www.aatravel.co.nz/main/td-calculator.php

yes, you can drive on to Aoraki in one day, though I caution against starting your driving at 7am. That means having to rise by 6am which means beginning the long drive already sleep deprived. Any itinerary which requires such early starts is, imo, unsafe.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunedin to Cromwell- which route?

I like the southern route, as the trip can be broken up, with possible stops in Lawrence and Roxburgh.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,291 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunedin to Cromwell- which route?

Both ways are very good, however my favourite is the trip through Larence and Roxbourgh. The Middlemarch route is ok for a change but there are more colours through Roxbourgh. Lawerence even has free WiFi if you have an urgent need to e m@il someone while you have an icecream.

The entrance to Lawrence is where they get those iconic autum photos.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
114 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunedin to Cromwell- which route?

Another option to consider is to go North from Dunedin to Palmerston and turn up the Pig Root road which joins you back on the road through the Maniototo. For my money route b is much more interesting and you really get the big sky iconic landscapes beautifully portrayed in Grahame Sydney's paintings going this way.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunedin to Cromwell- which route?

If you are a visitor to Dunedin, the best way to go to Cromwell is by travelling South via Milton. Just south of Milton, turn right into Central Otago. Allow about 3 hours for your trip. Reason for this route is that it passes a variety of small towns on the way allowing for photo and refreshment stops. If you get lost, there are plenty of locals to help you. If you travel via the Pigroot (northern route) it is more isolated.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
388 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunedin to Cromwell- which route?

I will be traveling in the other direction from Cromwell to Dunedin. I plan to take the northern route for the added bonus of the short detour to Moeraki boulders.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunedin to Cromwell- which route?

If we have todo this trip it is always via Middlemarch. The roads are better by far. there is no traffic. The Middlemarch shop has great icecreams. The Scenery is at its best in the early morning or late in the evening.

Compared to the Milton route. You are subject to traffic all the way to Milton. Then you travel through the rolling hillside down in the gullies, so you see little.

It is a tiring road to drive as far as a driver is concerned , do I need to say more?

As far as driving from Cromwell onto Mount Cook.

Why do that;>}

Are you on holiday?

The Lindas pass is worth seeing, but you will be tired by the time you start that part of the trip. You are most likely to full asleep while driving. I wouldn't do it in one day.

8. Re: Dunedin to Cromwell- which route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2012, 05:32