We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Accom needed for Elton John concert

Which Dunedin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Accom needed for Elton John concert

Hi all

Have bought husband ticket and flights for Elton John concert (we live in Wellington) but all the city centre accom looks booked up (have tried all the George St hotels and motels and those I can spot around that area). Any suggestions please? We don't know Dunedin well, so we are relying on good ole google maps to spot places nearby-ish to stadium (husband not planning on hiring a car). Wondering if there is any accom which the 'locals' know about, or any which is easily accessible by public transport to the centre of Dunedin, given that the stadium looks to be a short-ish walk from there?

Thanks!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Accom needed for Elton John concert

Hi windyKiwi,

Best option is to contact the Dunedin iSITE. They have a bank of available accommodation for the Elton John concert weekend. Most accommodation within Dunedin City will be within walking distance to the stadium.

www.dunedinnz.com/visit/contact-us.aspx

Wellington
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Accom needed for Elton John concert

Thanks so much! They were really helpful - have taken my email address and said they will email with available accom.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Accom needed for Elton John concert

Let's hope they come through, because town is looking pretty chocker that night. Travelbug, for example, shows practically zero availability already.

The stadium is several blocks from anything resembling accommodation, by the way, but I would hope that someone will have the foresight to lay on some buses. This sort of event is new to Dunedin, so we're still sorting things out.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Accom needed for Elton John concert

Have a look at www.aatravel.co.nz (select accommodation, Dunedin, and book now option).

There is hardly anything left but I see that Bella Vista in Mosgiel has a room left....grab it quick !!!

Its a 15 minute taxi ride from the stadium but could be the closest option left available.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Accom needed for Elton John concert

Mosgeil might be 15 minutes away, but I hate to think what the wait would be for a taxi after something as big as a sold out Elton John concert. The poster may need to bite the bullet and rent a car, and do that quicksmart. Wonder if I should get into being a bus operator and run buses to Oamaru?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,508 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Accom needed for Elton John concert

I know that stadium is a bit contraversial in Dunedin, but as a former Dunedin ite driving past my reaction was, "what a venue!!" It's not quite as well located as the cake tin in Wellington. but it sure leaves AMI Stadium for dead even before the earthquake knocked it around.

Christchurch New...
Level Contributor
120 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Accom needed for Elton John concert

Hi

Wi are a group of 5 couples who purcashed tickets as soon as they commenced selling as ticket direct members and had been trying since then without any luck to find accommodation. We have now got accommodation staying at the Uni Halls (Carrington College) at $70 per person p/night incl continental breakfast, bedding towels etc. Not what we would have planned but all we could find and believe me we tried!!

8. Re: Help! Accom needed for Elton John concert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 06:35
Christchurch, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Accom needed for Elton John concert

Accommodation required for 4 adults for Thursday 24.11.11 departing 26.11.11. Have own car.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Accom needed for Elton John concert

Help! Does anyone have a room to rent in Dunedin for the night of 10th September? We are an English couple coming to NZ for the World Cup and are struggling to find anything in the vicinity of Dunedin for theat one night. All our other accommodation is sorted. We will have transport. Anything considered.

Many thanks