We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for staying in or near Dunedin at Christmas?

Which Dunedin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for staying in or near Dunedin at Christmas?

Visiting relatives in Dunedin for Christmas (flying out from Scotland), we'd like to stay in accommodation rather than with them: any advice? Are hotels / motels / B&Bs generally open for business at Christmas? Is there some way to find the ones that are? Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for staying in or near Dunedin at Christmas?

All hotels, motels and the far majority of B&B's will be open over Christmas.

You can check availability on wotif www.wotif.com/search/Advanced…

or contact your preferred accommodation directly.

Dunedin is a great wee city, enjoy :)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for staying in or near Dunedin at Christmas?

Thanks for the swift reply! Looking forward to finding somewhere special now, lots of highly rated places in the area :-)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for staying in or near Dunedin at Christmas?

Do bear in mind that smaller establishments eg motels may require a 2-3 day minimum booking over the Christmas period as they will have reduced cleaning staff to release people for family time (and to avoid paying penal rates!!).

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for staying in or near Dunedin at Christmas?

Give me some idea of what you would call special, an idea of what you're happy to pay, whether you want to be in town (near the rellies maybe?) or more coastal, and I should be able to come up with some ideas for you. We're a bit thin on the ground when it comes to special hotels, but have a range of motels, B&B's, lodges...

5. Re: Ideas for staying in or near Dunedin at Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 15:08
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for staying in or near Dunedin at Christmas?

I stayed in larnach castle. amazing view on clear days to the harbor if you get a harbor facing view. also u can book a dining night in the castle.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for staying in or near Dunedin at Christmas?

Hi NZBarry,

We want somewhere near the coast- we can drive in to see the relatives, and my partner has never experienced a Summer Christmas before and wants to be near the beach! Personally, I'd prefer the south coast rather than the harbour but it may be dictated by driving time. My relatives live in the Roslyn area.

We're looking for a bit of luxury- en suite, towels/toiletries, breakfast provided- more like your hotel / B&B type experience than strictly self-catering.

Any ideas very gratefully received!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for staying in or near Dunedin at Christmas?

Hi Travelling_Craze,

That's a fun idea, thanks for the suggestion!

I think we might give it a miss though as we live in Scotland and have access to lots of castles.. looking for something on the coast and a bit more Kiwiana :-)

Best wishes

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for staying in or near Dunedin at Christmas?

Hi Global-Travels,

That *does* look nice! Will add it to the list. Not exactly near a beach but lovely, with views, and near the relatives!

Thanks very much for the recommendation.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for staying in or near Dunedin at Christmas?

Try looking at the listings on Airbnb. These tend to be private homes. You would have to check availability at Christmas though.

https://www.airbnb.com/s?location=dunedin+new+zealand&checkin=&checkout=&guests=1