We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather (and driving conditions) in April

Which Dunedin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
60 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Weather (and driving conditions) in April

Hi.

I'm hoping to be able to visit Dunedin in April, and am wondering about the driving conditions I can expect.

I'd like to spend a few days around Christchurch to check out a few wineries and see how the city is. Would driving to Dunedin be a reasonable plan?

Thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather (and driving conditions) in April

April can be lovely with settled weather or we could get some chilly weather coming up from Antarctica. There might be overnight frosts which will make the roads icy - if so best not to drive before 10am or after dark.

Are you planning to drive from Chch? How long do you plan to stay in Dunedin? Where else are you going?

Are you aware the drive Chch to Dunedin is not coastal? - it crosses flat farm land for hour after hour and the drive is considered quite mundane. There are far better alternatives. If you post your full intended itinerary we can help you best :)

Auckland
Level Contributor
57 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather (and driving conditions) in April

Driving to Dunedin will be fine. The nights will be cool and as Wanaka mentioned, frosts will be around at that time of the year. However nothing to be concerned about. Common sense applies.

England
Level Contributor
60 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather (and driving conditions) in April

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have an itinery as such yet, so any suggestions appreciated.

I have about 3 weeks in total, but half of that has to be in Dunedin as I have some work to do there. There should be some sightseeing time as well, hopefully not only at the weekend

I'd like to visit Christchurch again, because I'd like to see how the city is faring now and I love the wineries area just to the north of the city, bit if that doesn't fit then so be it.

Beyond that I'm totally flexible. My hobby is photography, so seeing some snow capped mountain scenery would be wonderful. I also like photographing wildlife.

Edited: 31 January 2013, 12:02
Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather (and driving conditions) in April

On a day trip from Dunedin you could visit part of the Catlins; say Kaka Point (Nuggets Lighthouse) Owaka, Pounawea, Purekanui Falls, Tautuku Bay, Papotowai, Catherdral Caves; although not all of these in just one day. You could also visit Queenstown or Te Anau in a day, although you wouldn't have much time for sightseeing, it's about 4 hours driving each way to each of these destinations, so two days is better.

There won't be many snow capped mountains in April. Any mountain higher than about 8000 ft should have snow, but these are not that common except around the Southern Alps, in the Mt Cook, Mt Aspiring area.

Wanaka Lakes is the expert on South Island iteneraries, so if she can help you will be in good hands. Have a safe and enjoyable stay in NZ.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather (and driving conditions) in April

Yes, a trip down through the Catlins is lovely - this could be combined with Te Anau and Milford.

So afrer work on a Friday drive the 4 hours to Te Anau via Gore. Saturday drive to Milford, cruise, back to Te Anau. Sunday drive via the Southern Scenic Route through the Catlins back to Dunedin.

A multi-day trip from Dunedin is up the coast to Chch - not overly exciting but stop at Moeraki for a yummy seafood lunch at Fleur's Place. day 2 explore Chch in the morning then drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook in the afternoon with a tour to visit the Tasman glacier, lake and icebergs. day 3 you have a number of options - haed back to Dunedin or drive the Lindis Pass followed by Cromwell or Wanaka or Queenstown or St Bathans....

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather (and driving conditions) in April

Any recommended websites to get updates on local weather condition?

Will be driving in April too, in both the north & south islands. Might have to reshuffle some plans if the roads are not thawed yet by the time we get moving in the morning.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,893 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather (and driving conditions) in April

Veyr unlikely to get serious frosts in April, except perhaps on alpine passes.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather (and driving conditions) in April

http://www.metservice.com/towns-cities/nelson

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather (and driving conditions) in April

I have in the pst described the Christchurch to Dunedin drive as the most boring in NZ. There are 5 bends in it, no decisions on which way to go, and passing lanes within the next 10 KM for when you meet a sheep truck,

However I recently left Timaru at 8 am and there was a haze across the plain towatds the Souther Alps. The variations in the colour green were amazing. I really enjoyed it for about 20 minutes before I had to turn the radio up and long for a coffee in Orari.

Actually this road does have some of the best coffee and cake stops you will find anywhere. Greece may have it's yogurt and honey, HW1 Ch-ch~ `Dunners has the best coffee and boysenberry shortcake.

Even mid winter this road is a breeze. It gets snow once ever 17 years for 1/2 day each time and last time was 3 years ago.

England
Level Contributor
60 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather (and driving conditions) in April

Sounds as if I need to find a scenic meander rather than a direct drive.

Many thanks for the info.