We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Dunedin to Queenstown

Which Dunedin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Dunedin to Queenstown

Can any one please tell me how long we should allow for driving from Dunedin to Queenstown?We want to stop at Roxburgh or Roxbugh Hydro (if it still exists) and look at the dam.Also want to call in at the Rockburn winery which I believe is near Cromwell.

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
240 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Dunedin to Queenstown

Hi Mummygaot - This drive took us about 6.5 hrs, including several stops (lunch, a few wineries in Alexandra, a short hike, and a quick stop at the Kawarau Bridge to watch a couple bungy-jumps). By the way, the roads are very good on the route from Dunedin to Queenstown. Sorry I don't recall Roxburgh specifically, but Cromwell had an interesting old town section which had been moved to a higher elevation to avoid being underwater before a dam was built there.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Dunedin to Queenstown

Thank you Isle-to Isle---------just needed some idea of how long to allow with the stops.I don't think Roxbugh is anything special,but I need to stop around there to re visit my past.My father worked on the dam over the Clutha river and I stared school in a small township known as Roxburgh Hydro.I simply had to include this in our itinerary.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,252 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Dunedin to Queenstown

Hi MG from Geneva (again) Are you going to Roxburgh during the apricot season? if so grab a few bags (they'll give you a good run for your money! ) Roxburgh apricots are the best, delicious!

PS- Morzine and Chatel were fabulous, beautiful alpine villages- you know what? I could live there! Stayed at Evian last night (not so impressed - I have renamed it Evian-egas), but got myself the real McCoy in my drink bottle :)

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Dunedin to Queenstown

Bonjour Zappers--Ca va bien? Glad to hear you loved the mountains,so do we. Have stayed very near to Morzine a couple of summers ago.Every 3-4 years of doing other things we get the uge to return to the Alps.Our kids loved going there when they were young and still do

Will it be apricot season?I adore apricots.We'll be on that road on the 19th December.Any other fruit around then?

When we lived in Roxbugh mum did seasonal work fruit picking and I used to "help" during the school hols.

Where are you off to next?How is the French coming along?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,252 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Dunedin to Queenstown

Cheval Blanc, 30 mins from Avignon for 5-6 days of relaxation (sya my other half- I have news for him :) And no my french is disgusting, luckily hubby knows a few phrases and at least you can just about make out what is what- printed word wise. Not like German that was 10 times harder especially when hardly anyone (even the younger ones) spoke English. Oh how we have lead a sheltered life down-under!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,252 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Dunedin to Queenstown

Woops forgot, 'fraid you'll be too early for the apricot season- mid to late summer down south.

dunedin, new zealand
Level Contributor
94 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Dunedin to Queenstown

Hi Mummygoat,

The Roxburgh dam is still there ( and a new one at Clyde).

I'd allow 4 to 4 1/2 hours drive time and the rest for sightseeing. There should be stone fruit available at that time, there are always cherries around before Christmas, and usually some others too.

I don't remember the Rockburn winery but there are several others along that route e.g. Felton Rd at Bannockburn (Near Cromwell) and Chard Farm and Gibbston on the main road near Queenstown.

Dunedinite.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Dunedin to Queenstown

Hi Dunedinite,

Have just looked on the Rockburn website.They are apparently moving to a new winery at McNulty Rd. Cromwell.The only reason I want to visit here was that I had a wonderful wine served to me last year in Air New Zealand's first class cabin.I kept the menu from the flight (as you do) as it was the first and probably the only time I'd fly in first.When doing my research for my trip I realised We would be within striking distance as we travel on that road.

Probably will be astounded at the price but thought it would make an interesting detour.

Regarding the Clutha dam----my father worked on it in the early 50's.

dunedin, new zealand
Level Contributor
94 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Dunedin to Queenstown

Hi Mummygaot,

Since I replied to your mail I spotted a newspaper article about Rockburn.....Apparently there are two vineyards associated with the Rockburn label; one at Lowburn between Cromwell and Wanaka and the other at Gibbston between Cromwell and Queenstown. The Gibbston one would be on your way to Q/town. Also they've just opened a wine tasting room in Cromwell, don't have an address unfortunately.

I'd like to hear your report on their wine once you've visited, always interested in a new wine !!

Dunedinite.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Dunedin to Queenstown

Sorry dunedinite in being so late to respond to your last post but only noticed it today.I have mad a note of those wineries.I certainly enjoyed the pinot noir 2002 they served on Air NZ.