We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - no Apex offices in Invercargill or Dunedin??

Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
795 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire - no Apex offices in Invercargill or Dunedin??

We plan to hire a car in Queenstown and drive to Invercargill, Catlins to Dunedin with a stop off for a couple of nights on Stewart Island en route before flying Dunedin to Nelson. Car needed about 7 to 10 days for this part of trip.

Original plan to hire from Apex however they don't appear to have a depot in either Invercargill or Dunedin for drop-off! Before we go to plan B (use one of the more costly companies like Avis or stick with Apex and re-route via Christchurch to Nelson) anyone know of similar style company which has Queenstown & Dunedin offices? (Ideal if also Invercargill and we'd split rental there for a couple of days whilst on visit to Stewart Island - flying over - then pick up on return).

14 replies to this topic
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Hire - no Apex offices in Invercargill or Dunedin??

It would be fair to say that any of the companies highlighted by Rantin Rover would have a well maintained fleet irrespective of the age of the vehicle. The interior condition of some of the "older" cars on offer may leave a bit to be desired by some people but then that's what one pays for. All the companies mentioned are long standing companies in NZ

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Hire - no Apex offices in Invercargill or Dunedin??

Hi there - both the cars from ACE & JUCY will be older than 2-3 years, probably more like 5-7 I suspect.

Both should be OK and reliable, but quite a lot of the older rental cars tend to have minor irritations that may or may not worry you.

Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
795 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car Hire - no Apex offices in Invercargill or Dunedin??

Hi beanb41 & ANDYCHEF

I think that most people will accept less than pristine vehicles when hiring from companies like Ace Rental Cars and JUCY Rentals on the basis of price. However the uncertainty of just how old the vehicle will be tends to put me off personally. Ace's "Supersaver" could undoubtedly be "vintage" however in this context it is unlikely to have the same attractions of a good wine!

Apex Car Rentals, operating in a similar market, at least provide and indication of the age of the vehicle you are booking and lessen the odds to a more acceptable level. I'm not sure if they have been purchased by Avis (deal publicised 2012) but in any case my two previous experiences using them were entirely satisfactory and hopefully they will have retained their good record. In this section of our tour I can't use them and may end up going with Hertz to try to avoid "minor irritations" which we don't want to detract from a very costly holiday. In doing so it will add to the cost of course. No vehicle is guaranteed to be trouble free - we can only hope to lessen the odds! Time will tell. Regards RR

Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
795 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car Hire - no Apex offices in Invercargill or Dunedin??

A belated footnote to the above was that we eventually opted for Herz on the Queenstown to Dunedin section of our trip and Apex on our Nelson - North Island tour - Auckland section. Both were incident free.

Pick up of Apex was out of office hours at Nelson airport and vehicle boot/trunk was too small to take our luggage without exposing it in back seat. However a phone call next day sorted that and on passing through Nelson en route to the Interislander ferry a few days later it was exchanged without cost for a more suitable alternative.

Reply to: Car Hire - no Apex offices in Invercargill or Dunedin??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Invercargill