We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Invercargill

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Moving to Invercargill

Hi. I'm 23 years old and have had a job offer at Southland Hospital. I would be relocating from Australia. What's it like to live there? What is there to do?

Oz
Level Contributor
14,662 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Invercargill

Hi,

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g…

You are only a short drive to the ski fields too.

Cheers,

Te Anau, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Invercargill

I lived in Invercargill for 5 years while I was serving my engineering apprenticeship. Its not the most exciting city in the world, and you will probably find it quite a culture shock after Sydney, but depending on your interests and adaptability you should survive OK.

As Oz says, it's only a couple of hours to some of the best skiing in the Southern Hemisphere, Coronet Peak and The Remarkables; and another hour or so the Cardrona and Treble Cone. If you are into surfing and the beach culture you are in for quite a shock. Oreti beach is not bad for surfing I understand, but you will need a wet suit even in summer, and the UV is even higher than in Sydney, so you will mostly need to cover up.

Fiordland National Park is only 2 hours away, with Te Anau being the service center for the park. Plenty of options for tramping, deer stalking, mountaineering etc. Also great fishing in the rivers and lakes in the area. Brown and Rainbow trout and Atlantic Salmon in Lakes Te Anau and Manapouri.

One big advantage of Invercargill over the likes of Christchurch or Auckland is that the cost of accommodation is much more affordable, and the everyday cost of living is less.

Southland Hospital is relatively new, I think commissioned about 10 years ago, and from my experience the standard of care is excellent, so you will be working in good conditions.

I've no idea what the night life is like for young people these days. In my day we went to dances a couple of times a week, and partied and got drunk on the other nights. Not many dances nowadays so I don't know what you do on those two nights, but no doubt you would find something; Studying perhaps??

I'm sure you will love it. Just come with an open mind and a willingness to fit in and enjoy whatever is on offer.

Good luck.

Te Anau, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Invercargill

LOL Oz. How the h*ll did the Stead Street Wharf get into the top 40 attractions?? They must have been really scraping the bottom of the barrel there :)

Oz
Level Contributor
14,662 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Invercargill

Hi,

;-)

I often wonder how some of those supposed things to for various locations are selected. Equally bizarre as the" Best Beaches", ""Most Livable Cities" (I always think this means some of the residents are still alive), "Most Relaxing South Sea Island" et al .

Cheers,

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,910 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Invercargill

If you enjoy remote pop on over to Stewart Island.

On weekends take a drive and explore the Catlins.

Invercargill enjoys some rather brisk weather blowing up from Antarctica - pack your thermals, get some possum/merino socks and you will be fine :)

Auckland
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Invercargill

Invercargill will be cold compared to Sydney.

Zero fees at the Southland Polytech attracts students from all over NZ so there will be other young people there. Go for the work experience and who knows where it will take you.

Head to Queenstown for weekends away and it's an international airport for visits home.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Invercargill

I only stayed only stayed one night so cannot comment personally. However I overheard a very interesting conversation on the bus to Queenstown between a young music student at the University there and another passenger. The student was from the North Island and he was saying how much he enjoyed living in Invercargill where there is a really cool scene (his words not mine) for young people.

8. Re: Moving to Invercargill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 February 2016, 06:42
Edited: 13 February 2016, 06:42
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,910 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Invercargill

I tried to edit the message above and just made more gobbledegook.

Invercargill has a dynamic Mayor who thinks outside the square. Zero fees education and netball has revolutionised Invercargill - but I still find it a bit dreary come Sunday when everything on the main street appears closed.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Invercargill

I like Invercargill, the city has some lovely architecture and plenty of green spaces; beaches and rivers surrounding it. It does get cold and it can be a very windy city. There aren't that many hot summer days although it did reach 30c that other day. We have family in the city who shifted from Tauranga (a place where many want to live) to Invercargill 5 years ago- they love it. It's not the end of the world...but very nearly.