We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater Observatory

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
181 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Underwater Observatory

We'll be taking a day trip on Milford Sound during our visit to NZ next year. I uderstand from other TA postings that the boat trips are basically the same across all of the companies. I'm trying to decide if we should also visit the Underwater Observatory. Does anyone have any comments about their visit to the observatory? Would you recommend it?

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,714 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Full-Day Luxury Milford Sound Tour by...
9 Reviews
from US$135.60*
Free Cancellation
Milford Sound Nature Cruise from...
24 Reviews
from US$54.90*
Free Cancellation
Milford Sound Nature Cruise
52 Reviews
from US$48.00*
Free Cancellation
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Underwater Observatory

I found the trip to the observatory really interesting- but i am a geek.

Because of the large amount of rainfall at Milford Sound, there is a layer of rainwater at the top of the water that creates deep water conditions therefore, there's stuff a few metres deep that you'd usually only find in really deep water.

Basically it just breaks the trip up a bit and from what I can remember, doesnt affect the price too much.

Milford Sound is spectacular- have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,714 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Redmond,WA
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Underwater Observatory

Did you take your trip to NZ yet? We leave next week and still have not heard any personal recommendations about the Underwater Observatory-it looks like a great and unique achievement, but maybe a little lame and not worth the admission. Do you have a few minutes to exchange information?? I would love to find someone that I could ultimately email directly...is that possible?

Best, Julie T.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underwater Observatory

As Peako says, It's a good "add on" to your cruise, and doesn't cost much.

It's deep water observatory, so you see whatever is swimming past, but it's not like the underwater observatories on the GBR for example, where there are coral gardens as far as you can see.

You will see the rare Black Coral, which mostly grows really deep, but because of the tannin stained freshwater layer in the sound, grows at a much shallower depth. You will also sea any seals, penguins, dolphins etc which happen to be passing, but the operators purposly don't feed the fish, so whatever you see will be completely natural.

I'd say it's worth doing, but it won't blow your mind.

Redmond,WA
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Underwater Observatory

Thank you very much, VBC! That helps a lot! We'll try to see it, but not feel terrible if things don't work out.

atlanta
Level Contributor
229 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Underwater Observatory

Hi, We just returned and wouldnt do the observatory if we had to do it over again, I think it was $30. each and didnt see much

6. Re: Underwater Observatory

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 12:16