We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on our itinerary to Fiordland

Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Need advice on our itinerary to Fiordland

I am making some bookings for our time in Fiordland which will be from October 27 to October 30. We will be coming from Queenstown. I was going to book a Doubtful Sound overnight cruise on 27 October with Real Journeys and then on 28, 29 and 30th wanted to spend time in that area. I have looked at Possum Lodge, Manapouri and also thought a night or two at Knobs Flat accommodation or Milford Sound Lodge. We would like to be away from the hustle and bustle so I thought those places would be good? Or should I do the Milford Sound end first?

Also, the kayaking, and comments on that or any more on the overnight cruise would be good eg. my husband doesnt have good sea legs - does Doubtful Sound get rough? - or any suggestions on Milford Cruises - we hope to get there early to beat the crowds.

And weather? I gather October is still pretty cold. Also tourists? Am I best to book everything on line or wait until we are there. I would hate to miss out.

Thanks - will look forward to your comments.

Cheers,

Heather

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on our itinerary to Fiordland

Hi Heather, Welcome to TA.

If you want to go on the onvernight cruise on either Doubtful of Milford you should book NOW. It may already be too late. No information on Possum Lodge, but most accommodation, restaurants etc is at Te Anau. Never heard of accommodation at Knobs Flat. It's a Toilet stop on the way to Milford. Your information may be more up to date than mine, but personally I wouldn't consider it, assuming it exists. Milford Sound Lodge is good. It's back packers style, rather than hotel/motel. You wouldn't need more than 1 night at Milford.

Regarding sea sickness. Some folk get sick in a bath tub, so hard to advise, however neither Doubtful or Milford gets as rough as the open sea. More like a large lake, and the boats are quite large, so most people don't have any problem. On the overnight cruises they always moore in a sheltered anchorage at night, so he should be OK.

October, like every other month in NZ can be hot, cold, wet, dry, or windy. We may also get earthquakes. You just gotta come and take it as it is. At the moment we are in our 3rd week of rain in Fiordland, and we are fed up with it. I sincerely hope it will have cleared up by the time you get here. Just looked outside, and we have fresh snow on the mountains, down to about 300 meters above the lake.

Kayakings great, but it's got to be your thing. If you've done it previously, and like it, then go for it. But don't think you can just climb into a kayak and embark on a 5-6 hour paddle. You have to be moderately fit.

Not too many tourists until after Xmas, but there will be a few, including you:) You will not have to book for most activities, but definitely book for the overnight cruises.

Check on WOTIF (www.wotif.com) for good last minute rates on accommodation.

Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on our itinerary to Fiordland

Thanks for all that info. I have inquired at Kepler Mountain View cottage and they are going to look into booking Doubtful Sound for me tomorrow. Think we will stay at the cottage and make that our base. The other place - Knob's Flat has only been open a short time and Possum Lodge can be found via the Milford Sound Lodge website.

Think I will give the kayaking a miss and we will be prepared for all weather conditions!

Also we are staying at Ohau House for a week - it looks really nice - has anyone stayed there?

Thanks again.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on our itinerary to Fiordland

Hi Heather

kayaking is available on your Doubtful Sound overnight and I highly recommend it. You don't have to paddle far if you don't want to, but it's glorious being out on the still water (finger's crossed) enjoying the still silence.

have a great trip :)

Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on our itinerary to Fiordland

Thanks for the kayaking advice. I have just booked on the Doubtful Sound cruise for 27 October so I will try the kayaking.

Another thought - we will be leaving that area on the morning of 30th and need to be back in Christchurch by about midday on 31st. Any suggestions on where to stop the night of the 30th?

We will have had three days in Queenstown and a week at Lake Ohau.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on our itinerary to Fiordland

Milford to Chch is over 770kms. I would suggest you get at least as far as Te Anau or even Queenstown on the evening of the 29th.

Then drive to Tekapo for the night of the 30th - with a side trip to visit Aoraki/Mt Cook, weather permitting.

It will then take approx 3 hours to Tekapo to Chch. The drive over the Lindis Pass (Tarras to Tekapo) is particularly scenic, it would be a shame to rush through without stopping to enjoy the scenery.

6. Re: Need advice on our itinerary to Fiordland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 16:20