We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater Observatory & Milford Sound Mariner overnight

Berkshire, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Underwater Observatory & Milford Sound Mariner overnight

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me when you visit the underwater observatory when you are on the Milford Mariner overnight cruise. Does it mean you miss anything - like the kayaking or is it at a different time.

Many Thanks

Te Anau, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underwater Observatory & Milford Sound Mariner overnight

THe Underwater Observatory is an extra cost option with the Milford Mariner overnight cruise. The vessel moors overnight in Harrison Cove, which is where the observatory is situated.

THe kayaking is also done in Harrison Cove, or you can go onshore in the tender.

I don't think it's a either/or option. THe product manual says

"Milford Sound Underwater Observatory option available (extra cost; excludes coach/flight connections)"

My reading of that is that you would do the observatory in the morning after breakfast, and would return to the Milford terminal either by the observatory's tender, or on a later cruise. THis would mean you would miss the Real Journeys coach to Te Anau, or a connecting flight to Queenstown. In other words, you would need to be travelling in your own car.

If you want I can contact Real Journeys and clarify this, or you can email them at reservations@realjourneys.co.nz

Berkshire, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underwater Observatory & Milford Sound Mariner overnight

Many thanks for your reply VBC - we are travelling by our own car, and were hoping that the underwater observatory would be done the morning after the overnight.

I will contact Real Journeys to clarify before booking.

Berkshire, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underwater Observatory & Milford Sound Mariner overnight

Dear All,

Just for others information here is the response provided by Real Journeys to my question asking when you visit the underwater observatory when taking the Milford Mariner overnight cruise:

The underwater observatory is visited the day after your nights stay and you come back in a water taxi to the terminal about 1 hour after the boat docks at the terminal , and water activity's are done the day of travel either kayaking or small tender.

Hope this helps someone.

4. Re: Underwater Observatory & Milford Sound Mariner overnight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2010, 06:17