We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Cruise company to pick

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
153 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Which Cruise company to pick

Hello,

My family and I will be driving from Te Anau to Milford Sound. What time of day would you recommend taking a cruise of Milford Sound? We have two options: One - getting up early, and hitting an early morning cruise, takes the afternoon to relax, look around and take our time driving back. Two - doing the opposite, take our time driving up there and doing an afternoon cruise. Or does it even matter what time of day we do our cruise? All I have read is to stay away from the mid day tours, since they are packed with big tours from Queenstown. Is this true?

Does anyone recommend a company to book through? We would like a smaller boat where we can find our seat and be able to experience everything from there. I don’t want to have to fight for space if we get up and walk around to see something.

We will be there on December 22nd 2010.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,513 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Cruise company to pick

I have cruised with Mitre Peak and think they are great tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g612500-d941…

My preference would be to rise early, drive directly to Milford (allow 2.5 hours) for a mid morning cruise and then spend the rest of the afternoon slowly driving back to Te Anau, stopping at all the sights.

it's a magical road, enjoy :)

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Cruise company to pick

I would not book your cruise until you arrive in Milford Sound. Park your car in the car park and walk the 10 minutes to the boat terminal and check out all the cruises on offer at that particular time. The cruise in the fiords is great with whoever you go with and don't worry about avoiding the mid day tours as they seldom create a distraction.

When you leave Te Anau and the weather is suitable do as many stops as possible on the way into Milford Sound. If its raining do your stops on the way out. The secret is to not to prebook your cruise because it will avoid having to hurry on the Milford road and allow you the option of exploring all the stops at your leisure.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
153 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Cruise company to pick

Hello,

Thanks for the advice. Just want to make sure that we do not miss the opportunity to cruise the sound as we will only be able to make it to Milford Sound one day.

Do you still think we should book when we arrive? will be get a spot?

Thanks,

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
79 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Cruise company to pick

Jenna -

My husband and I went to New Zealand last year and had the most spectacular time...we've talked about that trip almost everyday since! We went on the Doubtful Sound overnight cruise with RealJourney's. They were amazing, the rooms were great, food was great, the guides were so enthusiastic and knowledgeable. I highly recommend them.

http://www.realjourneys.co.nz/

Let me know if you have any other questions - we are planning our trip back soon!

Uzma

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Cruise company to pick

We have just returned from NZ and we used Cruize Milford for our day trip to Milford Sound.

They are one of the smaller companies and that slightly more personal feel came through both with our driver Simon and the slightly smaller boat.

We paid $55 (new season rate is now a little more I believe) & we got a great bus trip with as many stops as we liked, the boat cruise and a packed luch (sandwitch, fruit & cake).

The road to Milford is amazing and I'm glad I wasn't driving so I could really enjoy it.

Would recommend this company to anyone.

6. Re: Which Cruise company to pick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2011, 07:17