We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a cruise really necessary to see the Sounds?

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Is a cruise really necessary to see the Sounds?

The wife and I enjoy active activities like kayaking and hiking. Cruises - even day cruises, which are the only ones within are budget - are expensive.

I'm wondering if a cruise on Milford or Doubtful is really necessary to experience the beauty of the Sounds.

Would it be that much better than a day kayaking in Milford, and a day hiking off Milford Sound Highway (http://bit.ly/dxmo5G)?

Thanks in advance!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,684 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a cruise really necessary to see the Sounds?

Kayaking is of course an option, but there are no roads around Milford Sound so the only way to experience the sound is to get out on the water.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a cruise really necessary to see the Sounds?

I actually think the drive into Milford Sound more spectacular than the cruise. And yes, you won't be disppointed if you skip the cruise and go kayaking or hiking instead.

Enjoy :)

UK
Level Contributor
152 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a cruise really necessary to see the Sounds?

The drive is stunning yes BUT the cruise particularly the overnight one is also something special - you can't really imagine the height of the waterfalls unless you experience going under them. And anchoring out at night on the Milford Marniner was the absolute highlight of our tour.

Check these out all taken on the cruise.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52238301@N03/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
496 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a cruise really necessary to see the Sounds?

Totally agree with WanakaLakes. The road trip & kayaking is the best combination. We have been to Milford Sound four times and the best experience was when we did the kayaking. Overnight on the Mariner comes second.

Edited: 09 November 2010, 11:46
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a cruise really necessary to see the Sounds?

When I did the overnight boat trip on the SS Friendship, we got in a short hike after dinner and then kayaking at 6 a.m. The whole combination was pretty fantastic.

If I had time on this trip, I'd definitely do the Doubtful Sound overnight kayaking trip.

Has anyone been on the diving/snorkeling trips in Milford Sound?

6. Re: Is a cruise really necessary to see the Sounds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2011, 06:17