We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which company to use for Milford cruise

Mackay QLD
Level Contributor
16 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
which company to use for Milford cruise

I need help!! Just planing trip for my parents from Czech Rep. and got lost in trip to Milford. I picked up aprox. 5 companies they do trips ex Te Anau with cruise, but I don't know which to choose.

1. Red Boats - trip Park n Ride ex TA

2. Cruise Milford - ex TA at 8.30am (bes value)

3. Trips and Tramps - Coach & Cruise ex TA

4. Mitre peak cruses - ex TA 9.20am (second best value)

I'll prefer smaller boat, plenty stops on the way to Milford, glass bus.....

Can somebody help me pleas!! Thank you

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: which company to use for Milford cruise

It is very difficult to recommend one company over the other as they all take you to the same place. In my opinion the best way to travel the Milford road is sitting high up in a large luxury coach with glass top viewing. You should also try and choose a company that makes more stops on the Milford road for photos and little walks etc. This an abundance of marketing hype about small boat versus larger boat but they mostly travel the same route in the fiord. So there is very little difference in which boat you use. If you strike one of the experienced coach drivers on the road trip into Milford Sound you may find the road part is more enjoyable than the cruise in the fiords.

Enjoy Milford Sound.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which company to use for Milford cruise

We recently did the tour from Te Anau to Milford Sound with Trips and Tramps and it worked well for us. Steve was our guide/driver and he was very personable and knowledgeable.

We left Te Anau at 8:00 am, with Steve telling us his most important job was to get us to Milford in time for the 10:30 cruise on the Milford Mariner, which he did. We made two stops on the way to Milford and then were able to take our time and stop frequently on the way back. We were in a 10 or 12 passenger vechicle--our party of four and one other traveller in addition to Steve. We were able to spread out and everyone had a good view.

On the way back Steve stopped at many places with fantastic views. One of these stops included a 30 minute walk through the forest, which ended with Steve brewing fresh tea and instant coffee over a fire along the banks of a stream, and serving us delicious homemade cookies.

Steve gave us a choice several times of where we might like to stop or not; having a say so in the day was nice. We got back to Te Anau around 4, with Steve dropping us off right at the hotel.

We had originally planned to drive ourselves, since we had a rental car, but decided to do the tour so everyone could enjoy the views. I liked the smaller size group with Trips and Tramps over the large tour buses filled with people. Lots of time wasted there at stops, just waiting for people to get on and off the bus. You could drive the road yourself and have the ultimate flexibility, but if you want a tour the smaller one might be worth the extra cost to you.

3. Re: which company to use for Milford cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2011, 07:34
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question