We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Track Tramp

Coolum Beach...
3 posts
Save Topic
Milford Track Tramp

Any tips for first time trampers of the Milford Track?

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Milford Track Tramp

I think that on the guided walk you should be able to take a bit more with you in the way of clothing, as you won't have to carry this between lodges. You need only take your layers, wet weather gear, lunch and drinks in your day pack.

Personally, I would very much recommend proper hiking boots with good ankle support. If you have a pair that are well broken in, then do take them. While the track is very good in general, there can be some tricky bits - especially in rain or snow. We got diverted onto the emergency route due to avalanche risk, and this was quite tricky due to not being able to see which rocks were loose in the fresh snow. A pole was very useful for me as well.

Have a great hike!

12. Re: Milford Track Tramp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 12:18