We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Sound 1 day Coach/ Cruise from Te-Anau

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Milford Sound 1 day Coach/ Cruise from Te-Anau

Hi,

Please kindly recommend me the coach company to Milford sound 1 day tour. Prefer the pick up from Te-Anau.

Will it be cheaper to book online or pre-book? I am travel in a big group of 17 adults.

NZ
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford Sound 1 day Coach/ Cruise from Te-Anau

Real Journey's are outstanding. doesn't matter if you book online or not and you can usually book up to the day before - though for a larger group I would book in advance.

Don't know when you are going but if it is this winter they have winter specials at the moment.

Just did their Doubtful Sound trip and it was brilliant.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford Sound 1 day Coach/ Cruise from Te-Anau

Going on November.

NZ
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford Sound 1 day Coach/ Cruise from Te-Anau

This is their website - realjourneys.co.nz

The winter special will be over but if you keep an eye on it or contact them direct you might be able to get a group deal.

Good Luck :)

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford Sound 1 day Coach/ Cruise from Te-Anau

I would contact the smaller companies as they are much cheaper and more likely to give a discount for 17 people. The most important thing is make sure they use a large luxury coach with a glass roof. The larger coach allows you to sit higher up ( you see more )and the glass roof adds to the experience of driving through the Mountains. Also make sure the company you choose stops at the Chasm, its a nice 20 minute walk into the bush.

Enjoy Milford Sound.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milford Sound 1 day Coach/ Cruise from Te-Anau

May I know what are the small company running this? A lot company running the coach n cruise?

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Milford Sound 1 day Coach/ Cruise from Te-Anau

There are many companies running coach and cruise. Milford Sound Select are a small family company, their prices are competitive and if you approach them directly you may get more discount for your group. Naked Bus also use this company for the Milford Sound trip from Queenstown or Te Anau.

I have used this company many times and they make up to 10 photo stops and little walks between Te Anau and Milford Sound. They use the Real Journeys boats which are comfortable and spacious for the cruise in the fiords.

Another advantage with these small companies is that their coaches are seldom full and this allows their passengers to spread out and this means more comfort for the journey.

Hope this helps

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milford Sound 1 day Coach/ Cruise from Te-Anau

Hi,

It is really help me out. I am stress to plan this family trip for such big group and also have to be cost consious for all the members.

May I know why most of the people prefer to take coach for this trip instead of self drive since we had booked the car rental for 1 weeks.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Milford Sound 1 day Coach/ Cruise from Te-Anau

The Milford road has many accidents, avalanches and washouts which can happen all year. If you are not familiar with this road it will be much more enjoyable and relaxing in a bus. If something does go wrong with your vehicle there is no cell phone coverage hence many of the buses carry sat phones.

The roads are narrow with many sharp corners and have many one lane parts and the narrow tunnel has caused much damage to rental cars.

Why would you risk having an expensive accident in a rental car when for less than $120 (which includes the $75 for the cruise ) you can do the day trip in a luxury coach.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milford Sound 1 day Coach/ Cruise from Te-Anau

Thanks for Ur fruitful advise.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Milford Sound 1 day Coach/ Cruise from Te-Anau

Hi,

Anyone of you heard about Great sight / Southern discovery for milford sound coach and cruise?

How is their service?