We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Sound Cruise

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Milford Sound Cruise

Trying to decide between Amesomemz cruise and Mitre Peak cruise to Milford Sound, there are quite a few positive reviews to both. Have seen posts where recommend taking a bus with two doors and glass roof but cannot find detail of these two companies if their buses have these or not- does anyone out there know or have a reco?

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford Sound Cruise

I think you are talking about Realjourneys. Thier buses are purpose biult., this is the company that stated tourist in Fiordland. Very comfortable and also very proffessional. This company's smaller boat is called the Wanderer it is the boat with the sails.

If you want a slightyly longer cruise in a small boat, - Mitre Peak

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford Sound Cruise

The Mitre Peak bus has only 1 door and no glass roof and as far as I know that is the only company whose coach is like that. You will also find that most of the 20 seater vans will have no glass roof.

Some of the new Real Journeys coaches have 60 seats but I would avoid these because you will find that the smaller luxury 40 seater coaches seem to have more time to do extra stops on the Milford road hence making it a better experience.

It really does not matter which cruise boat you cruise the fiords in as they all follow the same route and the small boat large boat argument is irrelevant.

Enjoy Milford Sound

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford Sound Cruise

We are staying 2 nights in Te Anau and have decided on the BBQ bus to Milford, which (I think) has a maximum of 22 passengers, and a BBQ lunch before boarding the cruise boat. The BBQ bus also picks up from Q'town

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,316 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford Sound Cruise

Staying two nights in Te Anau is the most relaxing way to enjoy Milford. While in Te Anau you can also enjoy some great walks, visit the glow worm caves and watch the brilliant 30 minute film Ata Whenua http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldAYgs4UF6w

I've heard the BBQ bus is fun. Enjoy :)

5. Re: Milford Sound Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2013, 10:30