We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Milford Sound from Queenstown

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Drive to Milford Sound from Queenstown

I am planning to be in Queenstown on May 2, and would like to visit Milford Sound. I would like to drive to and from. Can an expert advice:

1. The distance and time for driving from Queenstown.

2. The road condition. I read that the Milford Highway is quite dangerous. Is that true?

3. Do I need to book a cruise in advance or could i just drive to Milford and join a cruise there?

I would appreciate any advice and recommendations.

Thanks

Augustine

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Drive to Milford Sound from Queenstown

Many of the coaches are now making stops on the way out of Milford Sound. If the weather is fine make some of your photo/walk stops on the way to Milford Sound.

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Drive to Milford Sound from Queenstown

I'm planning to visit Milford sound during mid June. Is it better to travel fromTe Anau or queenstown? What is the best mode of transport to and from Milford sound during June. Thanks

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Drive to Milford Sound from Queenstown

I choose to go with tour bus, instead of driving... I wish I drove there as the weather was great... Anyway non disappointment as the tour guide was fantastic..Nge is from great sights company..

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Drive to Milford Sound from Queenstown

Great to hear you enjoyed your tour :)

A problem of the Milford Road is how quickly the weather can change. So the morning can be lovely and sunny and people think, let's drive (or let's hike) and two hours later they are stuck in the midst of a snow storm.

You are very wise to take a tour through the winter months.

Salinas, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Drive to Milford Sound from Queenstown

Hello, I am just joining on this dialogue.

Is your opinion on the order of preference the same if the travel is in early September? Are you saying there is danger of avalanches in September? How about traveling from Queenstown to the Glaciers. Are their likely to be avalanches there too? Where can we find out about issues like this now. .or do we have to wait to find out about road conditions then?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Drive to Milford Sound from Queenstown

Avalanche season on the Milford Road runs through Oct. It is recommended you take the bus to Milford late May through the end of Oct - however like anything there are fluctuations. Sometimes fresh snow early May or late Oct will prolong the season. Or there could be a fine run of weather mid season when it is fine to drive the road. I think the major natural hazard on the road is ice. Once the overnight frosts cease it is easier to drive to road.

You can always check the road condition before departing.

Check here …govt.nz/projects/milfordroad/RoadStatus.do

or at the Te Anau DOC office.

When conditions are at their worst but the road is still open a kiosk is manned at the beginning of the road. All vehicles are stopped and checked to ensure the driver has chains and knows how to fit them and has winter driving experience. A number of drivers are turned back to Te Anau - this has reduced the number of accidents considerably.

The road to the glaciers doesn't run near any snowfield so there is no avalanche concerns there.

Safe travels :)

27. Re: Drive to Milford Sound from Queenstown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 00:47