We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real Journeys vs Mitre Peak

Adelaide
Level Contributor
145 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Real Journeys vs Mitre Peak

I am looking at booking a Milford Sound Coach-Cruise-Coach trip in June. I think I have narrowed it down to two companies but I can't really tell the difference. They both have really good ratings on this site so I can't narrow it that way. What do you think?

Real Journeys (Nature Cruise) - $198.00

Mitre Peak - $175.00

Cruise length seems to be the same. What are the pros and cons for them? Other than the price difference (which isn't a lot anyway) what's the difference? Thanks!

Te Anau Glow Worm Caves Tour
215 reviews
from US$60.82*
Milford Sound Nature Cruise
20 reviews
from US$59.32*
Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruise from...
152 reviews
from US$183.98*
Likely To Sell Out
Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise
68 reviews
from US$208.76*
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Real Journeys vs Mitre Peak

There is no difference, both buses go the same places, both cruises go the same places.

The last cruise I did was with Mitre Peak - a faultless trip. Real Journeys also run a faultless operation.

Toss a coin?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
145 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Real Journeys vs Mitre Peak

Thinking that's what I should do. I read through the websites but couldn't really see any major differences. Are the boats the same kind? I would say the quality and size of the boat and coach would probably be the only major differences if they are different at all.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Real Journeys vs Mitre Peak

Mitre Peak has a smaller boat than most of the others - tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g612500-d941…

4. Re: Real Journeys vs Mitre Peak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 16:05
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Real Journeys vs Mitre Peak

We have done both. There is no difference.

If it was peak season I would go Mitre peak as it would not be quite so full of people.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
145 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Real Journeys vs Mitre Peak

Peak Season would be Summer I assume? So no difference for June then?

What is the coach and boat like? Does both coaches come with those roof windows I've seen?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Real Journeys vs Mitre Peak

You can view the boats on the websites. As for the buses, I've never used them so can't comment.

Michele, no need to get hung up on too much detail - toss a coin or wait and book once here as the fancy takes you. I don't quite understand this level of obsession when both trips are almost identical and you are 6 months away from getting here.

Relax, life needn't be so earnest :)

Adelaide
Level Contributor
145 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Real Journeys vs Mitre Peak

Im just one of those overly prepared people. Also money is mega tight so i want to know what Im budgeting for. Thanks for the advice

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Real Journeys vs Mitre Peak

In wintertime Mitre Peak combine with Kiwi Discovery and Magic in order to full up their buses. The small mitre peak boat would not be my choice but they give a good tour. If you are on a budget I would opt for Naked Bus which use the Real journeys boats as well as make more photo stops on the Milford road.

It really does not matter who you go with as I am sure you will enjoy.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Real Journeys vs Mitre Peak

if money matters then go Mitre Peak - the saving of $23 is enough for a good dinner!

But I would wait and book once here - there are sometimes special winter fares.