We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Milford Sound Closed?

Columbus, Ohio
7 posts
Save Topic
Road to Milford Sound Closed?

My husband and I are visiting New Zealand at the end of May. I noticed that the AA Maps website has the road between Te Anau and Milford Sound closed (between Homer Tunnel and Murrell Creek Bridge). Does anyone know anything about this? Or know when it is likely to reopen? Thanks so much.

http://maps.aa.co.nz/

1. Re: Road to Milford Sound Closed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 02:05
Columbus, Ohio
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Milford Sound Closed?

Thanks for this information. We are definitely planning to take a bus. According to that AA website, it has been closed for almost 2 weeks now. We are keeping our fingers crossed that it reopens in the coming weeks.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Milford Sound Closed?

I think it's pretty common for the road to be closed at night as a precaution, which seems to be the case today since they say it's opening at 7:30AM in Global-Travel's link. Maybe they're expecting avalanches?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,119 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Milford Sound Closed?

At this time of the year it is likely to be rockfall rather than avalanches. OP is probably looking always during our night when it says the road is closed.

Columbus, Ohio
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Milford Sound Closed?

I didn't think of the timing issue, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks so much.

6. Re: Road to Milford Sound Closed?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 02:05
Te Anau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Milford Sound Closed?

Hi there,

The Milford Road has been OPEN each day but closed overnight at the Tunnel to allow for shift work to be completed around the Tunnel. This is expected to be the situation for the next few months.

If you read the information on the AA it says:

Rock falls, Caution: Area Warning Between Homer Tunnel And Murrell Creek Bridge. Traffic Delays Between 9am & 12pm and Closing 5.30pm

Happy travels :)

Edited: 16 May 2013, 01:04
Columbus, Ohio
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Milford Sound Closed?

Thanks everyone! I got a little ahead of myself. We are counting down the days!

9. Re: Road to Milford Sound Closed?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Milford Sound