We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruising Fjiordlands between Christmas and New years

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
263 posts
247 reviews
Save Topic
Cruising Fjiordlands between Christmas and New years

Will it be cold? Hot? Humid/rainy? Is bug repellant needed? Will it be crowded with tourist boats? Ships? I have watched a few youtube videos and see people in coats... But not sure of what time of year the videos were shot. Any suggested dos and donts? Thanks in advance.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruising Fjiordlands between Christmas and New years

Will it be cold? possibly - a storm can blow up unannounced from Antarctica and it can snow over Christmas

Hot? possibly - it can also be hot one minute, cold the next - expect everything! and you won't be disappointed

Humid? - nope

rainy? - yep, it is one of the wettest spots on the planet - which helps the rain forest grow and the hundreds of waterfalls magical. But I have been there lots with brilliant blue skies... it could go either way

Is bug repellant needed? - you can feed the sandflies if you wish!

Will it be crowded with tourist boats? - crowded? nope. The boats all go the same places in the same order so while there might be 4 or 5 other boats on the fiord but you probably won't even see them

Ships? - the last time I was in Milford a cruise ship nosed into the fiord. It looked tiny against the immense sides of the fiord. Even if there is one in the fiord it won't land people ashore so it won't impact on you.

So best expect all weather - wear sunblock, repellent and take a rain jacket. Don't worry if it is raining, you will get waterfalls and dark, moody, artistic photos.

Enjoy :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
263 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruising Fjiordlands between Christmas and New years

Thanks WLnz - im from Seattle were we get lots of rain. Sun block and bug repellant will be in my case thanks for the comments.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,310 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruising Fjiordlands between Christmas and New years

"crowded" really depends on yoyr perspective and which Fiord you visiit! Most day trippers choose Milford Sound, so, yes, it gets hundreds of visitors each day in the summer months, whereas Doubtful Soundi is much less accessible (no road) so visitors are limited to a couple of coach loads per day. Either way the numbers are small compared with popular spots in other countries!

North Queensland
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruising Fjiordlands between Christmas and New years

My family and I are visiting your beautiful country for five weeks in December/January and want to do a boat trip on Milford Sound. Maybe it is just me but I am having difficulty finding a company that I can book that trip through without all of the connecting coach tours etc. We are staying in Milford Sound so do not need all of the extras, so would love some recommendations of who to book this through as we know it is a busy time of the year. All thanks M

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruising Fjiordlands between Christmas and New years

The last time there I cruised with Mitre Peak Cruise - highly recommended... and yes you can prebook if you wish. http://www.mitrepeak.com/

Or just wait and book on the day. The buses often get fully booked but the cruise boats don't.

Enjoy :)

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,916 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruising Fjiordlands between Christmas and New years

Yes you can just book a cruise on Milford sound. A milford sound cruise google search came up with a large number including real journeys, jucy cruze, southern discoveries, mitre peak. If you want recommendations

check out tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g255121-Activiti… It has reviews by other travellers

7. Re: Cruising Fjiordlands between Christmas and New years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 04:18