We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best repellant for sand flies

McKinney, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Best repellant for sand flies

To keep them away that is... I've heard I could actually use some that would attract them!

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best repellant for sand flies

I just grab a container they all seem to work to some extent. If the flies are that bad nothing works.

What I would suggest is that you wear long trousers a long sleeve shirt and definitely wear sox. That way you only have to worry about your hands and head.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best repellant for sand flies

Wear a hazmat suit, 24/7. :)

Ive tried various types and still came home with bites on my legs - they just love me.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,615 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best repellant for sand flies

Hi,

Military DEET if you have access to a friend or family member in the forces. Failing that Bushman or Rid Tropical strength or as has been mentioned cover up completly.

The Maori used to cover themselves in a layer of mud and animal grease. This method works well and is sure to get you a seat on the bus to yourself as the grease ages.

Cheers,

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best repellant for sand flies

Consumer magazine has released results of insect repellant testing. DEET came out tops. Rid medicated repellent and aerogard also tops. Many swear by a home mix of oil and dettol. Othershttp://www.nzherald.co.nz/health/news/article.cfm?c_id=204&objectid=11185283&ref=rss

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best repellant for sand flies

Hi Krista, we used a product called "B'sure" which we purchased in NZ. It worked really well when we went kayaking in Milford Sound. There were millions of them in the change room/tent but not one on us.

McKinney, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best repellant for sand flies

This sounds like nothing short of war:) I think I will try "B'sure" first and try to steer clear of the hazmet suit and the mud and animal grease, though, both sound interesting:) Has anyone tried tea tree oil? It's a little less toxic than DEET.... Thank you all!!

Oz
Level Contributor
12,615 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best repellant for sand flies

Hi,

Sandies regard Tea Tree oil as a marinade. Although it does have some use as an after bite antiseptic.

Cheers,

Edited: 16 January 2014, 00:46
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best repellant for sand flies

I've found Bushman (80% DEET) works pretty well. The non-deet types aren't that effective IMO.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
542 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best repellant for sand flies

So, if you wear long pants and socks, and long sleeves, is a repellant necessary? The DEET instructions say not to wear under clothing. Put on hands and neck/head only?

Also - are sand flies primarily an issue on Milford Sound, not in Queenstown? Other areas?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best repellant for sand flies

Milford, the West Coast, some parts of Abel Tasman yes

Queenstown, Wanaka, Te Anau no

I don't wear long pants, sleeves in the summer but they don't usually bother me too much.

If they want you, they get you. Backs of the knees and ankles, hands, ears, hair parting, neck will be targeted.

Best of luck :)