We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervanning at Milford Sound

Auckland Region...
5 posts
Save Topic
Campervanning at Milford Sound

We are travelling the South Island early April in a campervan and will be driving from Queenstown to the Sound in one day, arriving late afternoon. We want to stay as close to Milford Sound as possible, then get on a cruise first thing the next morning then drive back to Queenstown again later that day.

Where would be the closest campground to stay the night?? Thanks.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,657 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campervanning at Milford Sound

Hi,

I hope you have good screens and insect repellant!

I think Milford Sound Lodge has some camp sites.

Cheers,

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campervanning at Milford Sound

Try Milford Sound lodge. They have the only public accommodation. There is absolutely no camping in Milford Sound, except at lodge.

Otherwise there are a number of basic camping areas on the te anau side of homer tunnel

California
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campervanning at Milford Sound

Lake Gunn Campground, operated by the DOC is probably as close as you can get, outside of Milford Lodge Campground. It's just the other side of the divide from Milford.

California
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campervanning at Milford Sound

I hope this is okay. From www.motorcamps.com in an excerpt from Scott Cook's NZ Frenzy, is this:

Camping on the Milford Rd: There are numerous cheap-as DOC sites along the road through Eglinton Valley—each basic with no water or showers. The best of the bunch is Cascade Creek where there’s plenty of space, firerings, good mountain views and lots of wildflowers. The Lake Gunn lakeside campsite may sound good, but this site is too small and too many people try to pack in…often arriving late at night and causing undue commotion. Skip Lake Gunn, you’ll be better off at Cascade Creek!

Down the gravel Lower Hollyford Rd 8km is Gunn’s Hollyford campground. It’s a regular family campground, but friendlier…for just $10pp. Hot showers, kitchen, the works…and possibly a big fire burning in the camp area—very social! Gunn’s shop has some groceries as well as books, maps, and souvenirs. This is a fabulous campground!

The Milford Sound Lodge, at the Sound, has some camping but VERY limited and most often sold-out. About $20pp, but you better book ahead.

- See more at: motorcamps.com/content/…sthash.wneSE3AZ.dpuf

Auckland Region...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Campervanning at Milford Sound

Great - thanks for all your help!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,161 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campervanning at Milford Sound

Milford is physically very small as well of being one of the busiest tourism sites in NZ. So there is not much room. You could concider camping in the Te Anau area and getting away early in the morning to beat the busses from Queenstown.

7. Re: Campervanning at Milford Sound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 22:35
Hamilton & Waikato...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Campervanning at Milford Sound

Hello, I'd like to help with the advice you asked-for. I posted a most detailed and informative reply here, but Tripadvisor have deleted it as "Inappropriate". I'm very confused about why, as my posting did not contavene any of the forum rules, and contained relevant and useful information. (for your information, I'm a very regular visitor to Milford Sound and can probably help with all issues regarding it, especially travelling there in a van).

I'm a new member of Tripadvisor, so I need them to explain to me what I did wrong, so that I can continue to contribute useful postings in future. Please does anyone know how to contact the Tripadvisor team? I think I should get their advice before continuing.

I apologise that my response to your request didn't make it to you. Good luck with your trip, and I hope that you have an unforgettable time at Milford!

best wishes Paul

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Campervanning at Milford Sound

If you park at the carpark opposite the pub in Milford Sound there are toilets nearby and the authorities will charge you $20 a night.

Post it again Paul and lets see what happens

Hamilton & Waikato...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Campervanning at Milford Sound

Hi Bill

In fact, Milford also stopped charging the $20. It's free since this summer. Excellent news.

I don't have my posting any more, and it was several paragraphs of import and an accurate

information that I can't do again. I've just returned from Milford and we had another six cruises,

helicopter flight, and all the local thrills. It was wonderful, and we had fun with the local crowd

as always! We learned all the local updated travel information, just as we do each

time we visit. I frequently advise visitors from all over New Zealand and around the world on

the right things to do there, and get lots of grateful replies. But trip advisor seem to have had

some kind of issue with it. Guess they don't want my advice.

I've un-subscribed from TripAdvisor, so you won't be hearing from me again. If they monkey

around with people's good quality postings I don't want to be part of it.

Thanks for the reply. I hope the originator benefits from your advice.

Kind regards Paul