We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Sound-Self drive vs coach tour

Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Milford Sound-Self drive vs coach tour

We will be in Queenstown this September and want to visit Milford Sound. We are thinking of driving to Te Anau and staying the night there.

We would prefer to self drive to Milford Sound from Te Anau, so that we could make our own scenic stops/hikes along Milford Road. My fiancé is into photography and wants to capture many of the beautiful sceneries of NZ. I feel if we go with a tour we will be on their time schedule.

I am hesitant though as I've read about the icy road conditions/avalanche possibilities.

Just wanted to hear the opinions of self-driving from Te Anau vs. coach in/out or even fly out option.

Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Milford Sound-Self drive vs coach tour

Great, please let us know how it goes.

Enjoy :)

Barnby in the...
Level Contributor
113 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Milford Sound-Self drive vs coach tour

Thanks SouthIslandBill and OZRCFLYER - sorry for not acknowleding your thoughts earlier, have been away. If only we had more time to be able to drive to everything :). We are going to be staying in Queenstown and so with limited time the coach option (with a fly back - weather permitting) is what we are looking at. I'll keep looking for the coach trips but if anyone reading this has had a great experience on a SMALLER COACH, do let me know the name.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 18:42
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Milford Sound-Self drive vs coach tour

BiKKy321, how did it go? Did you get caught in that foul southerly storm that hit the east coast of the SI yesterday or did Milford Sound avoid it?

24. Re: Milford Sound-Self drive vs coach tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 05:20