We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Sound or Glenorchy

VA
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Milford Sound or Glenorchy

Hello. I need help in deciding whether to go to Milford Sound for the day or Glenorchy. I know, two very different sites. Any suggestions of highlights of one over the other would be appreciated.

Thank you.

-Stacy

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,814 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford Sound or Glenorchy

Without understanding the rest of your iternary, or your reasons for visitng both, I would suggest Milford Sound.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford Sound or Glenorchy

I don't think they can be compared at all. Milford wins hands down. Even if it is raining, you should go to Milford. It is really spectacular when there are waterfalls cascading off all the rock walls.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
780 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford Sound or Glenorchy

Both if possible!!

If you only have time for one then another vote for Milford Sound.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 20:09
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford Sound or Glenorchy

Drive to GY in the morning, order a helicopter to pick you up, fly over the hill to Milford, do the cruise, fly back to Glenorchy - simple.

VA
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milford Sound or Glenorchy

Thanks all. We have such limited time in Queenstown. Will arrive afternoon of April 20 (driving from Dunedin) and leave April 24 in the am. My daughter wanted to see some LOTR sights, and therefore Glenorchy. However, she would also like to see the glow worm caves in Te Anau. My husband and I just don't want to spend so much time in the car so we're trying to decide on an itinerary. (We are driving from Christchurch to Dunedin on April 19).

I'm looking into a fly/cruise/fly or coach/cruise/fly option for Milford Sound. It looks like many beautiful spots to stop on the drive to Milford Sound but would you recommend the drive?

Are the glow worm caves worth the drive?

Appreciate your advice. Wishing we could spend a month in the South Island, that might solve our problem.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milford Sound or Glenorchy

Hi,

Do both with the flight as suggested.

For our daughter in law (LOTR fan) one of the highlights of our ski trip a couple of years ago was on a "lay day" she went on a horse riding tour of some of the LOTR sites near Glenorchy. Since then each and every time we see her she never fails to mention the experience.

Cheers,

Western Victoria
Level Contributor
346 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milford Sound or Glenorchy

I wouldn't go to Te Anau for the Glow worms, nice to see but not "amazing"

Surely you can fit in both Milford and Glenorchy, arrive 20th, Milford 21st, Half day to Glenorchy 23rd and any other sights in the other half day (Its only 45mins to Glenorchy).

I wouldn't recommend dropping either location but would put Milford 1st on my list, unless you do Doubtful Sound ! :-)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milford Sound or Glenorchy

If you're going down the west coast, you can see glow worms around Fox Glacier too. I would recommend doing the coach tour to Milford from Queenstown, and then the flight back if it's available. But honestly, you don't want that flight to be available, as the drive to Milford Sound is just unreal on a day with bad weather and lots of rain. Huge and tall waterfalls everywhere. I would go so far as to say if a storm is forecast for the next day that you should drop all your plans and book a Milford bus trip for the next morning (you really can't trust a forecast any farther ahead than tomorrow in NZ though, at least according to every Kiwi I talked to on the South Island!).

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milford Sound or Glenorchy

I'd honestly vote for both though with 4 nights in Queenstown. To me Glenorchy (where I dayhiked some of the Routeburn Track) was the absolute highlight of the Queenstown area on my trip. A tiny tiny town with spectacular mountain views and amazing hiking around, plus a really dark night sky for seeing all sorts of things that can't be seen in the Northern Hemisphere (the Magellanic Clouds are hands down the most impressive). I really enjoyed staying 2 nights out there in a place that felt a million miles from everywhere.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 22:10
10. Re: Milford Sound or Glenorchy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 07:17