We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Sound - overnight or day cruise?

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Milford Sound - overnight or day cruise?

We are planning a 5 week motorhome tour of NZ next February. We want to cruise Milford Sound and our travel agent is suggesting an overnight cruise (picking us up in Te Anau). Sounds nice but we are trying to see as much of NZ as possible and wonder if we will be just as happy with a day cruise. Also, although we are not on a tight budget, we still have to pay to leave our motorhome somewhere so we won't save a night's hotel bill.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford Sound - overnight or day cruise?

Milford sound cruise is easily covered in one day. However, I would suggest an overnight cruise on doubtful sound. Milford is stunning and dramatic. Doubtful sound is immense and huge. Both recommended. Doubtful sound overnight is recommended, rather than a day trip o doubtful, as it is a trip across lake manapouri, bus ovef wilmot pass to get to deep cove and the cruise. And doubtful sound is so much bigger.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford Sound - overnight or day cruise?

Hi Barbarella,

I have been on both a day trip to Milford Sound and an overnight to Doubtful Sound. Both are amazing. For the wow factor I think you're right in wanting to go to Milford Sound. Photos of Mitre Peak don't do it justice. It is awesome.

I do know that many visitors have the same concern about where to leave their cars and motorhomes while doing these trips. Real Journeys have carparking and when we did the overnight to Doubtful Sound all the vehicles were safely parked at Lake Manapouri.

http://www.realjourneys.co.nz/en/info/faqs/

I always use this company.

I would book whichever tour you choose directly with the NZ company (you'll need to book as it will be peak time) as I'm sure your local agent will charging you extra for this.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford Sound - overnight or day cruise?

Thanks Toddy. We will go with your suggestion of the day cruise. We will be staying in Te Anau and we can use the day saved to visit the glowworm caves there. This means we can miss out the trip to Waitomo in North Island and save a day to spend longer elsewhere!

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford Sound - overnight or day cruise?

PS thank you too Poppy :-)

5. Re: Milford Sound - overnight or day cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 06:19