We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Tramp in June?

Dorchester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Milford Tramp in June?

Hi guys,

So I'm planning to walk the Milford Track in early June and was wondering what the conditions might be like at this time of year? I've read the information on the DOC website and though I'm physically fit and not particularly bothered by the prospect of wind and rain, I'm not an experienced Tramper, so am slightly worried the conditions may be unmanageable. (Though part of me also wonders if it's all a bit of an exaggeration?)

If I do decide to do the walk, is it worth booking huts, and transport ect in advance, or waiting until I know what the weather might be like closer to the time? (However, does there need to be a minimum number of people for the transport to even run?) Also what extra equipment would be suggested for these conditions?

Though I'd love to do the Milford Track, I appreciate it may not be possible, in which case I would be open to any suggestions of shorter Tramps based around the Te Anau area.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,130 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford Tramp in June?

It's not wind and rain that would be the main concern at that time of the year - it's snow. There is quite likely to be snow closing the pass at that time of year. It's an alpine area, so is not an exaggeration.

If you are not an experienced tramper, forget it. It is off season for a reason. The Milford season closes in early Mayand reopens in October. This means that while the track is still able to be walked, the huts are downgraded to a more basic category. They won't have to be booked at that time of year (as very few people will be walking the track in winter).

If you want to do a tramp in the area, look at the Hollyford. It's a valley walk, so is not likely to be snow affected as the alpine tracks are. The scenery is still stunning.

Have a look at the Department of Conservation website for more informationL: …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford Tramp in June?

The above advice is pretty bang on; the Hollyford is a spectacular walk - another track which might be worth considering at that time of the year is the Abel Tasman.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford Tramp in June?

You could consider the Kepler track. Telly's comments also apply to the Kepler, however it is much easier to get to from Te Anau; involving simply walking across the dam over the Waiau river. Although the Milford track is theoretically still able to be walked, the boat from Te Anau Downs to Glade House does not run over the winter months, so getting there would involve a special charter. The same applies for the boat from Sandfly point to Milford. In practical terms it is not possible to walk the Milford track once the season closes.

There will be snow on the alpine section of the Kepler, however I spent every winter of my youth skiing on Mt Luxmore, and the winter weather is often glorious, with brilliant clear skies, while the lakes and valleys below are shrouded in cloud. You do need to pick your weather, and take sensible precautions. With those provisos the Kepler is a great option for a winter tramp. You should definitely advise DOC, and complete an intentions form in case things go pear shaped and you need rescuing.

Dorchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford Tramp in June?

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I shall look into the Kepler Tramp, though was wondering if my inexperience would rule it out too?

I shall do some further research, but the Hollyford is defiantly looking like the most practical, in terms of the walking conditions.

I was already thinking about doing the Abel Tasman Tramp, but definitely will now it's been suggested. :)

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milford Tramp in June?

I wouldnt suggest you attempt the kepler in snow without some experience. It is a stunning beautiful track but the second day is along exposed ridges. It can close because of wind or lack of visibility.

In June I would suggest you avoid alpine hiking without proper equipment and experience. Abel tasman is stunning, but it wont be swimming time on the beaches!

Edited: 19 March 2014, 18:57
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milford Tramp in June?

Early June on the Kepler you should be fine - do it anti-clockwise so you can make a call at the Idris Burn whether or not to summit Luxmore depending on the weather - also take a sat phone with you.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milford Tramp in June?

If you do the Kepler check the weather forecasts and reports thoroughly. Clockwise is the recommended way to walk the track - check the elevations to understand …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

You could always walk into luxmore and back. And then Iris Burn and back. But it misses the best part of the track. The exposed mountain ridges!

8. Re: Milford Tramp in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 06:23