We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photos

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
300 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Photos

Normally, the best time for landscape photos is either first thing in the morning or just before sunset. Do these rules follow for Milford ?

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Photos

The best photos in Milford can be at any time of the day. A rainy storm can produce some good shots in the fiords and on the Milford road. A sunny day with the snow capped peaks or cascading waterfalls due to recent rain can be equally spectacular.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photos

th best time for photos is on the early morning cruises, especially if it's a sunny day. The blue haze in the afternoon makes it hard to get good shots. Check out my Doubtful Sound shots (early morning) & Milford Sound ones (mid afternoon). The sun drops behind the mountains early in both Sounds but more so in Milford due to how narrow it is.

…blogspot.co.nz/2014/04/doubtful-sound-part-…

…blogspot.co.nz/2014/04/doubtful-sound-manap…

…blogspot.co.nz/2014/04/and-finally-milford-…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
300 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photos

OK - here is the problem. I am told that the earliest I can take a coach directly from Te Anau is 08:00. This means that we will not be on the Sound until close to noon. I know that the photos will still be OK, but would prefer to take them no later than mid-morning. This means I have the option of driving myself. I have been told that this is not recommended as it may snow and the roads may be dangerous to we Southern California drivers.

We would also like to fly back, so a decision has to made as to take a coach in ,fly back and miss the early morning shots. In other words. Is photo taking more important than risking an accident on the drive.

I suppose we could fly both ways, but then we miss the drive in which I have read is not to be missed. So I have my options right ? We will make the trip on May 26th.

California
Level Contributor
7,152 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photos

I think photos will be gorgeous regardless of time of day. There's also a good chance that it will be cloudy so the difference in light won't matter anyway. Don't risk driving on icy roads.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photos

A little tongue in Cheek here, but the best time to take pics in milford is anytime you can see the mountains. If by some chance you go in there, it is blowing a howling gale,the rain is pouring down and when out on the fiord, the big boats can hide behind the spray from a water fall and you can see no higher than their masts, then it isnt such a great day. Even so it rain an average of 1 out of 3 days depending on the time of the year, just after the rain has stopped and the skies have cleared, is awesome with the number of waterfalls. Other times it can be chrystal clear. But to be fussy about early morning or late evening, and if a bus will wait long enough for you to capture the best photo, i doubt very much that you will be happy. Drive in drive out and take an over night trip on the fiord,spend time in there if you really want the best of the experience

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Photos

Another point to consider is that a sunny day in Winter time has almost no blue haze.The cold air is so much clearer in the winter compared to summer. Coach cruise fly from Queenstown is the best way to go.

Enjoy.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
300 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photos

I am now a "destination expert "with everyone's help. I will try to arrange for a coach cruise fly combo. The only difference is that I will start from Te Anau - not Queenstown. It is expensive, but since this is our 50th wedding anniversary, nothing is too expensive for my long suffering wife.

Thank you again for all of your help.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photos

If money is no object and you happen to strike a perfect day weather wise you might consider a helicopter ride. Someone here wrote a report about their anniversary flight and it sounded expensive but wonderful. Not sure how easy it would be to make alternative plans should the flight not go ahead however.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photos

Hi Dean,

Can you stay the night at Milford Sound? You can then have the evening as well as early morning to take photos.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
300 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Photos

Our plans are set for a two night stay in Te Anau. We have decided to take a coach in and are still undecided on our return trip. The helicopter ride is really expensive and we are not sure we want to spend that much.

My next decision is to decide which lenses to take. We will be arriving after a 10 day trip to Bora Bora and have severe luggage restrictions for our New Zealand trip. I understand that it may be cold so we have to pack for two weather possibilities.

If I had to make a choice which lens should I take ( other than my 18-55mm ) a wide angle or my 55-300mm - or both. O f course I could take both and ask my wife to take less clothes (fat chance on her agreeing to that).