We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Track and Milford Sound boat trip

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Milford Track and Milford Sound boat trip

I was hoping someone could give me some advice:

We're lucky enough to have passes for the Milford Track in January. What I was wondering was whether the boat trip at the start/end of the walk and the views on the track itself are so impressive that it's not necessary to do another, separate day cruise on Milford Sound? I've had a look at photos of the track and it does look spectacular, but I wouldn't want to miss out on Milford Sound from the water.

Thanks!

Alice

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford Track and Milford Sound boat trip

Not sure what the boat trip at the end of the track involves but unless they tell you that you're getting a "tour" as part of the deal, then you will miss the "up close and personal" experience that you get from a dedicated cruise. Visiting the seals, waterfalls etc. There might not be any commentary either. If you do a separate cruise, make sure you go on one of the smaller boats. Cruise Milford are really good.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 23:20
Mentioned in this post
Cruise Milford
Cruise Milford
687 Reviews
Milford Sound, New Zealand
Oz
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford Track and Milford Sound boat trip

Hi,

Two totally different experiences. It wasn't until I flew over the Fiordland area many years after walking the track and some years after a cruise on Milford Sound that I was able to put things in perspective.

The Milford track is truly one of the most scenic multi day bush walks.

A cruise on the sounds is a fantastic experience quite different to the walk.

A flight over Fiordland in a small fixed wing or chopper is one of the most spectacular flights on the planet.

Cheers,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,726 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford Track and Milford Sound boat trip

The boat trip at the end of the Milford Track only takes you from Sandfly Point to Milford wharf & you only see a tiny portion of the Fiord. The cruise is definitely worthwhile.

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford Track and Milford Sound boat trip

Great, thank you everyone for the advice. I'll book an extra day in Te Anau so we can go on the cruise after we've walked the track.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milford Track and Milford Sound boat trip

Hi,

Have a great trip and don't forget the insect repellent!! The sandies are very thick at the Milford jetty area.

Cheers,

6. Re: Milford Track and Milford Sound boat trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 06:16