We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

O/N in Milford Sound - February 2015

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
450 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
O/N in Milford Sound - February 2015

I posted our tentative itinerary and got some great feedback, which I am using to tweak things.

Originally we planned an overnight in Milford Sound. The only reason we thought we would do this is because we want to do at least one of the longer walks along the Te Anau-Milford Sound Road ... right now, Key Summit is the plan. Although we are early risers, we do like to take our time while traveling from point to point, and stop and explore frequently. That means that I'm not sure we would be able to make MS in time for the last cruise boat of the day. As much as I've read about the scenery along the road, I'd hate to rush it. Hence the overnight.

I guess the question is ... how miserable would we be on the trails along the Te Anau-Milford Road sandfly-wise. If we'd be fighting sandflies the entire time, then I guess we would skip the hikes (except for a couple of short walks) and easily make it to MS for the last cruise and then make it back in time to overnight in Te Anau instead.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
9,614 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: O/N in Milford Sound - February 2015

I am presuming that without the overnight at Milford Sound, you are now considering 2 nights in Te Anau. In February, it stays light outside until 8:30. You have plenty of daylight to do hikes. Do a few of your short walks on the way down, take the cruise, and do Key Summit on the way back.

We went February of this year. We had every intention and plenty of time to do the Key Summit hike. But it was clouded in and very drizzly, on the verge of rain. But we certainly would have had time to do it, so don't worry. Most of the other scenery is accessible by short walks.

As for sandflies, you outwalk them. Apply a bit of repellant to any exposed areas and you won't have problems. We never experienced them until we were at Milford Sound itself, and just a few at the Chasm which is very close to the end of the road.

I think you making out the sandfly situation to be worse than it is. Just be prepared.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: O/N in Milford Sound - February 2015

Milford has sandflies, you probably won't notice them elsewhere along the road.

And it is easy enough to drive to Milford, cruise and drive out doing Key Summit and all other stops in one day.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: O/N in Milford Sound - February 2015

While Milford Sound can have sandflies, its not a huge problem. Inside the terminal building is always sandfly free and once you are on the cruise boat there are no sandflies.

Try and keep your plans flexible ie. don't book/pay for your overnight or day cruise until you get to Milford Sound. There is no point doing the summit walk if the weather is cloudy. The Lake Marion walk is another one of the many good walks along the Milford road.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
450 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: O/N in Milford Sound - February 2015

Thank you much ... I wasn't trying to make the sandflies out to be worse than it is ... as someone who hasn't been to NZ before, I was just trying to understand how they might impact our plans. The information you all provided makes us feel more comfortable that even at our slow pace this can be done as a daytrip and stay in Te Anau two nights ... anytime we don't have to switch hotels is a good thing ;-))

SouthIsland Bill ... I have the Lake Marion walk as an option along the road; thanks for mentioning that it is another one of the good walks.

5. Re: O/N in Milford Sound - February 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 05:16