We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning to Queenstown to fly out?

Kaiwaka, New Zealand
3 posts
Save Topic
Returning to Queenstown to fly out?

My sister and her husband from UK will be in Queenstown for a conference for a week in February. They then have just over a week to visit friends and explore the South Island. They are thinking of then going back to Queenstown to fly on to Sidney. I would have thought that once out of Queenstown it would be better to fly out from somewhere else - Christchurch? What do you think? Would you go back to Queenstown to fly out?

7 replies to this topic
Auckland
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returning to Queenstown to fly out?

They are both international airports so I can't see the problem. Christchurch is bigger and may offer more flights out so check that out.

However they have to get to Christchurch so if they were mainly sightseeing around the Queenstown/Milford area going all the way to Christchurch to fly out seems pointless.

Kaiwaka, New Zealand
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Returning to Queenstown to fly out?

Thanks, I suppose it does depend where they go in that week or so after Queenstown. I just thought the drive to Queenstown is not easy and to go back there might mean repeating places that they have been rather than seeing something different.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Returning to Queenstown to fly out?

+++They then have just over a week to visit friends and explore the South Island. They are thinking of then going back to Queenstown to fly on to Sydney.+++

Where are they heading to for "visiting friends" because a week is not very long?.

Kaiwaka, New Zealand
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Returning to Queenstown to fly out?

They have more time before the conference. They will be flying in to Auckland.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,314 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Returning to Queenstown to fly out?

It has to be their choice. One week is not a long time - either they spend it all between Te Anau-Catlins-Dunedin (2N in each place) or they do a one way road trip: Wanaka-FJG-Hoiktika-Chch or Mt Cook, Lake Tekapo, Akaroa-Chch.

In the last two instances they would fly out of CHC.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Returning to Queenstown to fly out?

+++ They then have just over a week to visit friends and explore the South Island.+++

Once again hgmarsh you have not mention where they are "visiting friends" because this might dictate the best route to an airport to fly home.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,116 posts
3,231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Returning to Queenstown to fly out?

Look at an open jaw ticket.

Reply to: Returning to Queenstown to fly out?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted