We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queenstown to Kaka Point- Best route?

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
193 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Queenstown to Kaka Point- Best route?

Dear All,

I'll be driving to Kaka Point from Queenstown in a few days and I was hoping for some comments regarding two routes.

Route 1:

Queenstown to Cromwell and then take the 8 all the way to Milton before finally taking the 1 to Kaka Point.

Route 2:

Take the 6 to Lumsden, the 94 to Gore, and then the 1 to Balclutha.

I'm interested to know if one route is quicker than the other, more scenic, more stop off points etc. we've already travelled the Cromwell to Queenstown section so won't stop again if taking route 1.

Grateful for any input.

Thank you,

TV

4 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,905 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queenstown to Kaka Point- Best route?

Where are you going after Kaka Point?

Te Anau, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queenstown to Kaka Point- Best route?

Both would take about the same time. The route through Lawrence is more scenic , but the Gore route is easier driving.

I had to make that choice a few months ago, and I chose the Gore route, so I guess subgectively I prefer that. Really depends where you plan to go after Kaka Point. If the SSR.then go via Lawrence.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
193 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queenstown to Kaka Point- Best route?

Well on the same day or next day, I will be doing the sights in and around Kaka Point like Cathedral cove (timing for tides?), Nugget Point, Purakanuui falls. After that, I'll be heading north to Dunedin.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queenstown to Kaka Point- Best route?

Alternatively, you could head directly south to Invercargill, then make your way along the Catlins to arrive at Kaka Point mid-late afternoon.

Nugget Point lighthouse first thing in the morning, other nearby sights, then head up to Dunedin.

Reply to: Queenstown to Kaka Point- Best route?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted