We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we do Coronet/Remarkables if we do Gondola?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Should we do Coronet/Remarkables if we do Gondola?

We intend to go up the gondola for the view. Would appreciate advise on whether it is similar view from the Coronet or Remarkables or is it an entirely different experience? Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
10,974 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Should we do Coronet/Remarkables if we do Gondola?

Different views of the same general area. I think the view atop the gondola is better, but there is a lot of activity up there. At the Remarkables, my husband and I ate our picnic lunch on top of a knoll with not another soul around.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
2. Re: Should we do Coronet/Remarkables if we do Gondola?

Wow! Cool! So we could just drive up to the remarkables ski area even in early December?

California
Level Contributor
10,974 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: Should we do Coronet/Remarkables if we do Gondola?

As far as I know, yes. When we went there in March of 2015, they were doing roadwork at the very top, so we went as far as we could to a place I later found out was called Windy Point. As long as they aren't doing roadwork, you should be able to go all the way to the lodge and I understand there are a couple of tracks there.

Here's more information about the drive and walks: motorcamps.com/content/remarkables-road

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Should we do Coronet/Remarkables if we do Gondola?

The other factor to take into account is the cost of the gondola - I found $35 to be too much to stomach.

Te Anau, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Should we do Coronet/Remarkables if we do Gondola?

They are totally different experiences. Really the only point of similarity is that you are getting a birds eye view of the surrounding area.

The Coronet peak road is slightly less challenging if this is a consideration.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
6. Re: Should we do Coronet/Remarkables if we do Gondola?

Thank you all again!

deSchenke - that link you provided was awesome! I was laughing out when I read the following:

Tourism Qtown doesn’t tell you about a FREE drive up this road as an area attraction, even though the views along the road are car-stop, jaw-drop, cameraclick dazzling!

So, yes! I will do it.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
7. Re: Should we do Coronet/Remarkables if we do Gondola?

I have been trying to decipher deSchenke link that state:

"At the 6km mark there’s a parking area and short path up to the 900m Trig’s PHENOMENAL view, both out over the lake and down directly below at the confluence of the Shotover and Kawarau Rivers."

Could not figure it out on Google map? Any suggestions please?

The other one was the contribution by another in the same link that state:

"If your not planing on doing the hike I wouldn't waste your time going to the very top. We found Red Eye Rock view point to be one of the best."

Again could not figure it out on Google map? Any suggestions please?

Thanks again!

Edited: 04 November 2017, 08:46
California
Level Contributor
10,974 posts
73 reviews
8. Re: Should we do Coronet/Remarkables if we do Gondola?

I think the parking area/trig reference is at -45.025902, 168.781343 (I use satellite view to find parking areas. You can also use Street View).

I have never heard of Red Eye Rock.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Should we do Coronet/Remarkables if we do Gondola?

Yes, you should. We did all of these in mid November. I got 'teary eyed' awe at the top of the remakables, so amazing, like being on the roof of the world! Road is a tensie bit sketchy, but I'm a complete wuss and made it up ok. Coronet road is better but the views not quite as amazing as the remarkables (still awesome though). What is good at Coronet is that you can watch the paragliders etc take off. Gondala is good, restaurant a bit overrated - go for a drink at the bar or the café where you get the same views. Part of the charm of the Gondala is more about going through the forest and seeing the majesty of the oh so tall trees going up.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
10. Re: Should we do Coronet/Remarkables if we do Gondola?

deSchenke - just saw your comments. Thanks for the reference point - really appreciate it!

Melanie B - thanks. Appreciate your perspective of the two area.

In any case, NZ here I come!

Reply to: Should we do Coronet/Remarkables if we do Gondola?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted