We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing the remarkables beginners

Kawana, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing the remarkables beginners

Hi there,

We are planning just one day of skiing on our trip to queenstown, two adults one 16 year old, all fairly fit but never been on snow before. Would you recommend the beginners lift pass or the main one? Or does anyone know if you can go there have a lesson then decide.

Thanks!!

2 replies to this topic
Te Anau, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing the remarkables beginners

Definitely go for the beginners lifts. My first time on skis ( many years ago) I used the main tow. Got about 1/3 way up before I fell off with the rope running over my skis. Once I was extracted I headed down ; wiped out and tore the medial ligament on both knees. Stick to the learner slopes.

If there is any possibility that you might get hooked on skiing then definitely take the beginners package which includes ski hire, lift pass and a lesson.

If you are positive that this is a once in a lifetime experience then probably best to forego the lesson and just bumble around by yourself for a few hours. You can pick up a few pointers by watching others on the beginners slope.

The first thing to practice is Falling and Rising. You will find the first part of this exercise easiest to execute.

Good luck. Break a leg. ( oops. That's only for actors. Sorry)

Kawana, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing the remarkables beginners

Thanks very much for the advice! 😀

Reply to: Skiing the remarkables beginners
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted