We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel Queenstown (airport? town?) then camper

Canterbury, Kent, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
hotel Queenstown (airport? town?) then camper

We are flying in to Queenstown in mid February to start a three-week campervan trip though both islands. We arrive early on a sunday evening, but our flight arrives just too late (6.00pm) to pick up the camper that night, so we need to find a hotel for the one night, then pick up the camper from the airport office the following morning.

We've never been to Queenstown, so we are not familiar with the airport/town geography.

We plan to hang around the Queenstown area for 2-3days after that, making various trips.

So, I've got a couple of questions:

(1) Any suggestions for a modest/mid-price hotel for that first night? I am guessing that airport locations will be expensive, but that if we stay further from the airport e.g. in the town, we'd have the hassle/cost of getting transport to/from the airport. But we'd like to spend a pleasant evening, which will be our first in NZ.

(2) Any ideas for good places (campsites or other) to park the camper at in the Q'town area for the following couple of days?

taupo
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel Queenstown (airport? town?) then camper

Hi, I know this post is a few day's old. I have been waiting for others who know Queenstown better than I, to respond.

Queenstown is not a big town. I am sure buses run from the airport that will take you into town and back the next day to collect your van. Check with the airport or the information centre in Queenstown.

it will be busy in Feb, but you will find places to park up.

Do a google for motorcamp sites. Google earth may help as well.

cheers and enjoy your visit.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel Queenstown (airport? town?) then camper

I'm surprised the camper van outfit won't be open when you arive, particularly if you have the van booked for that day. As a rule Queenstown operates 24/7, particularly in February.

There are no hotels etc close (within walking distance) to the airport, but there are busses and shuttles, as well as taxis, so you will have no trouble getting into town.

There are hundreds of hotels, motels, B&B's etc in Queenstown. None are cheap, and some are very expensive ($2000 per night+) We like the Crown Plaza. It's mid range, and right in town. THe Sofitel is also in the centre of Qtn. More expensive, but still below stratospheric. You can expect to pay $150 to $300 per night for a good apartment or hotel room. $300 to $600 for a top class hotel, and from this point, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Try www.aaguides.co.nz for accommodation.

Frankton Motor Camp ph ++64 3 442 2079 fx ++64 3 442 3079 is a great location beside the lake. Frankton is a suburb of Queenstown. THe Airport is in Frankton. It's also where most of the the Queenstown residents shop, at Remarkables Park shopping centre. There is also the Queenstown Motor Camp, and one called, I think, Creek side holiday park, which is also right in Queenstown.

3. Re: hotel Queenstown (airport? town?) then camper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Queenstown