We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possible to plan a NZ trip for next month??

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
possible to plan a NZ trip for next month??

am i crazy trying to start planning now for a trip to NZ next month???

first off, our dates are not flexible... we have 12/8-12/23 and we'd like to spend those 2 weeks in NZ (both North and South) but i understand that Dec. is a very popular time of the year to go...

we definitely want to do the major highlights (various water activities/bungee in Queestown, Milford or Doubtful Sounds, climb a glacier, rent a car to drive through the South, etc., etc... then make our way up to the North to relax on some beautiful beaches).

will everything (lodging, car rental, activities) already be booked by now? will we still be able to book some nice hotels... sign up for the best activities and rent a car all before Dec. 8th? just how busy/crowded is it during Dec.? should we scrap NZ for another time when we're more prepared??

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: possible to plan a NZ trip for next month??

You will be fine up until December 25th. After that you will be unlikely to get accomodation in the popular spots. I imagine rental cars etc will also be available before the 25th. All the trips etc will be operating. Actually pre Xmas is a good time to visit NZ.

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: possible to plan a NZ trip for next month??

The 1st part of December is a great time to come, and you shouldn't have too many problems finding accommodation and booking a car.

If you need any advice for Northland, then just let us know !

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: possible to plan a NZ trip for next month??

A great time to travel to NZ, weather should be more settled and not too many tourists around.

If you go to Christchurch I fully recommend the City Bike Tour. My husband and I did it, it was great!

In December you dont need to book accomm and activities before hand unless it is aroudn the xmas/new year period.

Happy trip planning!

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: possible to plan a NZ trip for next month??

whew, it looks like we're heading to NZ just in the nick of time!! I've been reading all these posts for the last couple hours... i'm sure i'll have lots more questions as i figure out our itinerary. thanks, everyone!

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: possible to plan a NZ trip for next month??

I agree with everyone about Dec being a good month.

I'd suggest you look at one island only and wing it.

All you need is a rental car, http://www.discovery-carhire.co.nz/ or http://www.carandcamperhire.com/ and accommodation for the first night when you get here, and the last night before you fly home.

If you are doing the south Island it is a simple case of doing a large circle around the Island. And if you use the people you are staying with they will give you the last minute deals neat places to stay.

Everyday will be a adventure.

Have lots of fun.

6. Re: possible to plan a NZ trip for next month??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 20:20