We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

sydney
Level Contributor
381 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

My husband and I are going to Queenstown in July for a week with our 2 kids. Should we stay at the Crowne Plaza hotel or the Oaksclub resort which is new. We dont mind sharing a room with our kids and enjoy buffet breakfasts but the reviews of the Crowne Plaza are worrying to say the least!!!! Are we crazy not to stay at a new apartment? I value great views.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

We stayed at Oaks Shores in February 2007, the apartment was amazing with views across the Remarkables and beyond. It is a little way out of town (too far to walk with children) but the facilities were brilliant and we didn't want to leave!

The service leaves a little to be desired but the apartmnet was worth the crap service!

We waited until a month before we went and booked a LOT cheaper through www.wotif.com and saved about $100 per night.

Jewels

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
253 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Hi, I don't think you would get 2 kids and yourselves into a room at the Crowne Plaza, it would certainly be tight.

Don't know about all the reviews as it is a good hotel in one of the most sought after central locations.

Queenstown is overloaded with Apartments and many offer great views. As long as you don't care about the usual hotel services I think apartments are a good way to go. Generally priced ok, loads of space, the option to cook meals if you want to etc. But yes be sure to get a room with the best views possible, the views from rooms in Queenstown are to die for so you don't want to miss those.

Oaks Club Resort is certainly pretty new and is 1km from town. If you want to be right in town maybe consider something like the Peppers Beacon - www.peppers.co.nz/Beacon

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

Try hotelclub.com for oaks club and shores, they are adertising quite good rates that you can book now for July. If it's really busy in July (is it school hols?) you may be lucky to get something on wotif.com

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

School holidays start 4 July to 21 July. If you haven't already booked something get on to it ASAP. It'll be a very busy time here with skiers in the holidays. Plus the winter festival is on too from 27 June to 6 July.

As already mentioned there is plenty of accommodation in Qstn, but a lot of it will be booked up already with the holidays and festival.

If your wanting lake views make sure wherever ask for it when you book, as not all rooms have them at a lot of places - they'll be cheaper too.

I've stayed at Oaks Shores and had no lake view, as it was a courtyard apartment. I wouldn't stay there again, see my review.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

Can I suggest you look at Coronet View Apartments. They might be a brisk walk from town , but they do have some good apartment options at reasonable rates.

http://www.coronetview.com/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

Would agree with Jewelshamanaptra.

Stayed at oaks club resort twice and the room didnt dissapoint. The front desk @ reception needs to improve a bit though!!!

We stayed in the 3 bedroom apartment (beautifully decorated and the way i would describe this room is that it has a penthouse type setting, with beautiful views over the lake.

I was also skeptical about this hotel when we booked the first time (stayed there in jan 08) but was very pleased i booked here.

U can book directly from there website or wotif.com Both give the same rates!

7. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 07:20