We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Queenstown during guided Milford track

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in Queenstown during guided Milford track

Does anyone know of a B&B/hotel/motel where you can park your car while hiking the Milford track? Alternatively, I'm considering just parking my rental at the airport and taking a taxi into town to meet the tour - are there other parking options? (We're flying in and out of Christchurch - and picking up/dropping off the car there. Not the best planning on my part.) We don't typically stay in chain hotels, but convenience may be the deciding factor...

The Ultimate Hikes website lists hotels that will store your bags if you stay there before and after the hike, but doesn't mention parking.

Thanks!

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Queenstown during guided Milford track

Non Secure parking is available at the Queenstown Airport. Daily maximum $16. Weekly maximum $58.

I tried to see if there was public secure parking, but couldn't find anything. I am sure there must be a secure parking facility in the industrial area, but they may not have a web page.

It could be worth contacting your rental company to see if they would store your car, or could you hand it back, and re-hire. I guess you get a beter rate for a longer hire, so that might not work.

Some hotels will let you leave your car, but land is at a premium in Queenstown, and many hotels etc don't have a lot of spare parking, so if you are in high season they may not be too willing to have extra non paying cars. Some of the larger hotels (Crowne Plaza, Sofitel etc) charge for parking, around $10 per day. They may let you leave your car while you were away, if you were returning to stay another night.

THere is secure parking in Te Anau. If you intend visiting Te Anau before or after the track you could drive over and leave it here. (You pass though Te Anau on your way to start the track.)

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Queenstown during guided Milford track

Hmm, thanks for the quick reply. Given the likely parking fees, I think we may just do separate one-way rentals and turn the car in during the walk. That would leave us more flexibility in staying in a place we'd enjoy. Thanks again!

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Queenstown during guided Milford track

Cheers, Al. Have a great trip.

Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Queenstown during guided Milford track

Hi Al

One way rentals may incur a 'one way fee'. Small B&B's may be more flexible regarding parking. The neighbourhood of Arrowtown just 15 minutes from downtown is very convenient for visiting Queenstown & Milford Hike. Parking is a little less 'precious' there. Ask Arrowtown House Boutique Hotel about their special arrangements for hikers. Cheers

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Queenstown during guided Milford track

Most Queenstown B&B's will be happy to keep your vehicle if you stay with them a couple of nights. Also ask at motels as they typically have more parking space than hotels.

best of luck :)

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Queenstown during guided Milford track

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I actually decided to stay the night before the hike in Te Anau - I didn't realize that was an option with Ultimate Hikes until I dug a little deeper.

Wanaka Lakes - reading many of your other posts has convinced me to spend some time in Wanaka as well... Back to square one on planning this segment of the trip!

Again, thanks for the input, I wasn't thinking through all the options.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in Queenstown during guided Milford track

Hi again Al, Here's the link for the secure parking in Te Anau http://www.saferparking.co.nz/

It's in the industrial area, on the outskirts of town. If you had time you could walk back into town, it would take about 30 minutes, or there are taxis, or you could pre arange with ultimate hikes to pick you up from the parking area. You would have to walk out to the main road to catch the coach, about 100 meters.

It is very likely that you could leave your car at your accommodation in Te Anau.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in Queenstown during guided Milford track

spending time in Wanaka?

- excellent decision making Al :)

9. Re: Parking in Queenstown during guided Milford track

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2010, 05:18